Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Map Editor - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
I just hope they release the editor a bit before the game and let the community get started, there's work to be done!
No, because you wont be able to test your maps without the game.

Quote:
Another thing I think would be great is a simple way to do full on campaign mode custom maps without the usual string 1 map after another, but creating it to mirror the actual campaign, with possible deviations and different paths. I.E. you beat a map 1 way it goes to next map, but if you beat it another it brings you to a different one. Campaigns just own!

Completely easy, just get something to trigger a value, and if that value becomes true it can load a new map, or, well you can attach it or put it anywhere. and do anything with it, you can also make auto save triggers.

For a custom Campaign the user would need to place the maps all in the right place to what the map's file locations requirements are. For this case, thats say that is 'C:\Program Files\Dawn of Fantasy\Scenario\UsermadeCampaign\...'

Code:
--Search radius, it searches around an object to detect other unit types.
-- after they are found it sets somevalue to true

local somevalue=false
Trigger.DetectHillTaken=function ()
	for CurUnit in Objects.HillMarker: SearchCircle(1100,1,"Men-Units-Halberdier","Men-Units-Maceman","Men-Units-Peasant","Men-Units-Knight Mounted","Men-Units-Swordsman","Men-Units-Archer") do 
         if CurUnit:Alive() then
             somevalue=true
             Trigger.HillIsTaken=true
         end   
    end
end

--if somevalue is true, load new map

Trigger.HillIsTaken=function ()
  if somevalue==true then
     LoadScenario("Scenario\\UsermadeCampaign\\AwesomeCampaignPath2.dofscn")
  end
DisableSelf()
end
Trigger.HillIsTaken=false
Not only can you just load a new map, but you can save your units and load them into the new map with the same X,Y,Z positions relative to that map*, then offset teleport them to there exact posistions where they where when you loaded the new map; or use the search circle object to create a table to offset the positions of the units relative to the search object, then transfer that table to the new search object in the new map to find the new real world positions based off the offset positions for each unit.
Could easily make a sort of Steaming map Campaign.

LUA scripting is pretty much limitless.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Huh what a complex sistem ... where are good old days of age of empires where even dumb ppl as me can fast make playable map =P.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Huh what a complex sistem ... where are good old days of age of empires where even dumb ppl as me can fast make playable map =P.
That's what's going to be so awesome here, they're going to have basic and advanced tools for the map editor. This means people who aren't as good at it can still make awesome maps, and if there's a few things they arent able to do they can just have someone more experienced add the final touches. Teamwork on map making always ends up awesome anyways. I remember in Warcraft 3 once I accidentally made 1 tiny piece of code wrong that crashed the game for everyone in it as soon as it opened :P. But I also refined a lot of maps others made. Either way, i'd think everyone will be able to make a good map if they put a little effort in.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
That's what's going to be so awesome here, they're going to have basic and advanced tools for the map editor.
Not for scripting in lua, we'll have information about everything, but the creator will need to write his own or copy paste from other sources, this also means you can indeed have a database of scripts that can easily be added to your maps. Seen as it is lua it is utterly limitless in things you can do, unlike other trigger scripts you get on games such as age of empires.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

We will implement a basic GUI-scripting if time permits. We definitely want to.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily patched or implemented as a plug-in, even if you didn't make the release date.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
... but the creator will need to write his own or copy paste from other sources ...
Those scripts can be put to a wiki page from where we can after copy them, right ?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Those scripts can be put to a wiki page from where we can after copy them, right ?
I guarantee you there will be community resources available, and people will populate them feverishly with their work.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

This is going to be very awesome. I just hope that we can get a lot of custom maps (by that I mean different than the same custom maps we play in every other rts that people clone). Not that the classics aren't great :P.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily patched or implemented as a plug-in, even if you didn't make the release date.
Yeah, it could.