Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Website Design Complaints/Suggestions - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Asatru has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Can I buy some of that 'Sunflower' you have? I'd like to feel really happy for a few days too.

Reverie has 1 webmaster, Ryan, who has been pretty much inactive for the last few years until recently. Therefore Relating Dof's Quality with comparison to our old outdated Sh*tty websites is quite an unjust opinionitive judgment. Regardless, I agree with you and I've suggested abolishing most of our Flash for Textbased-Infomationitive design before in the past which failed. Our forum does need a changing as text is hard to see if your monitor's contrast is high.

I'm beginning to realize why 99% of core game developers do not relate with the public anymore, distractions, criticism, and looping answers answered before defiantly does not help production times.

Anyways
Aro_, can I see some of your site designs?
Hmm that makes me kinda sad Joseph.

1 of the major things i like here is that the company also take's time to post on there forums and answer quistions, like you already said, about 99% doesnt bother with that anymore, so you guys are that 1% that does it and its great !!
Fact is if you read this threat only Aro_ has real issue's here but what i dont get is.

If you dont like what you see what are you still doing here ?

I think its okey to make a threat that says to this company ' hey this could be improved ' but your getting on a fine line here with insults about things here.

So lets keep it nice and simple.

-Asatru
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Aro_, your not offering your own services, are you?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
Sounds like it is a round-about way for doing so... but perhaps... Maybe he is being competitive with the 'I'm a better web-designer than you'

Web-designing is not a particularly competitive market and they it is needed very often so many companies take what they get without complaining (especially small/local companies) add that to the fact that human nature is that we have pride in what we do and see it in a better light (usually better than what it really is) you can use the case Dylan Bales provided as evidence of that...

I agree that we shouldnt argue over this however I do personally like Reverie's site and yes I do respect his opinion however that he deludes himself that he is a majority and can insult the webdesigner for it... That I do not believe in...

Aro... may we see some webdesigns you have produced? and for which companies?

Last edited by nickson104 : 06-10-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: misspelled Dylan's name :p
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Reverie World Studios - Map Designer

Dylan Bales has a default reputation

Quote:
the case Dylan Bates provided as evidence of that...
My name is spelled wrong .

But yeah, I used to sit there, calling myself the best scenario designer ever; I was so young and naive . I never listened to anyone, even though everyone said I was bad at it .

But I quit designing for a few months, and went back to play them, and I realized they were crap. I didn't realize fully how to take critisicm, until I started making campaigns for aoe3 for fun, and I started working a lot harder at making my campaigns, and making them quality campaigns, instead of quantity campaigns, and started listening to all criticism, except for the kind where people don't even try to help me, and just sit there and call me stupid .

Last edited by Dylan Bales : 06-10-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Opinions: you've got to love 'em.
As a first-time view of the website, I loved it. I had no problems with navigation, visibility or load-times. I loved the ingenuity of the format and layout. The forums are fine for me: not too dark, not too bland, not too contrasting and not too small text. I would say that from the abundance of appraisal that the website has had, and the minimum amount of issues (disregarding the un-updated content) made apparent, that overall people like the website. Don't present your assumptions and opinions as facts, it won't convince anyone.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Bales View Post
My name is spelled wrong .
Omg sorry mate, im so sorry...
Okay i take it back... your right, bigger text necessary!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Map Designer

Dylan Bales has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
Omg sorry mate, im so sorry...
Okay i take it back... your right, bigger text necessary!!!
It's fine, lol, I was just kidding, because I saw "Dylan Bates", and it looked and sounded funny .

But yeah, if we can't even read eachother's names, we need bigger text
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 AM

The_Biz has a default reputation

lol @ complaints

this is what happens - people might stumble upon the site. they see some news from 2007. they leave the site. end of story

also, flash is standard now whether you like it or not.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 AM

Aro_ has a default reputation

Quote:
Therefore Relating Dof's Quality with comparison to our old outdated Sh*tty websites is quite an unjust opinionitive judgment.
I'm not claiming the new site designer is responsible for the outdated websites, and I'm looking forward to his future designs, even if they use flash. But I'm very glad you agree that the websites are sh*tty; that makes me optimistic on the high standards you will hold for future designs.

And I think the way a company handles themselves on trivial manners is very much related to how they handle themselves in the industry itself.

Quote:
I'm beginning to realize why 99% of core game developers do not relate with the public anymore, distractions, criticism, and looping answers answered before defiantly does not help production times.
I've seen no looping answers. From the looks of your comments, you agree with me on the website's poor quality. If criticism is distracting you, ignore it; but keep in mind that I have good intentions, and keep in mind that this is a very small criticism compared to the critique you'll face when you have a finished product.

Quote:
Aro_, can I see some of your site designs?
Here are the only three I'm willing to show any person who does not know me personally; for privacy reasons.

http://aok.heavengames.com/
http://medieval2.heavengames.com/
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/

Quote:
No, it is *very* safe to say that I am not. I'm far too busy, although I love discussing web design. (And critiquing! But you guys probably aren't fans.)

Quote:
Web-designing is not a particularly competitive market and they it is needed very often so many companies take what they get without complaining
That's not true at all. If a company can't reach a customer because of an awful web designer, they are paying for nothing. That's the key to telling the difference between a real web designer and a fraud; one uses the web medium to let the business reach a much wider audience, and the other doesn't care about the business or the audience.

Quote:
How can you be so tech savvy and still use dialup?
Location, location, location. The websites still bite the big one on my work's hyper-fast connection.

Quote:
Anyway I really don't want to start an arguement I'm just trying to help you understand. One person complaining on behalf relatively few people for such a trivial matter will not work with a company that plans to reach many gamers. Most games require broadband to play.
My argument is that, by presenting the design in such a manner, a company will not reach nearly as many gamers/customers. People don't care about flash or graphics; while design plays a part, they care far more about content. Here's an article you may find interesting.

Quote:
Don't present your assumptions and opinions as facts, it won't convince anyone.
As a professional web designer, I present experience, not fact.

I think Reverie's web designer could salvage a lot of info from this page for the next flash-based design. Check out this article too.

Quote:
also, flash is standard now whether you like it or not.
Flash never *was* the standard, and never will be. Any reasonable business uses flash sparingly, and any reasonable designer avoids flash like the devil. For instance, look up the W3C guidelines for flash. If you're having trouble, that's because there are none.

Really, I think this is a healthy argument.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
My argument is that, by presenting the design in such a manner, a company will not reach nearly as many gamers/customers. People don't care about flash or graphics; while design plays a part, they care far more about content. Here's an article you may find interesting.
According to my experience, every person (which is a lot of people..) I've referred to http://dawnoffantasy.com has loved it. Even my sister and my mom, quite non tech-savvy, had an easy time with the website.

Design seems to play a large part in why they like the site too (unlike you say). Everyone says they love going through the book.

I definitely agree with you, though, that functionality and ease of access to a site's content should be put much higher on the priority list than coolness and features.
Closed Thread