Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

pay to win :( - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM

SunSic has a default reputation
Default pay to win :(

i have followed this game since it was in development. i was very excited when it finally went to beta, even tho we could only try out single player. when it finally released i got it right away, anxious to play an actual mmorts. i spent a week raising an army, and fought 50 million bandit camps, leveling that army up (even tho every upgrade i did, to any unit, did not stick, and i would always hafta re-apply the upgrades everytime i clicked on a unit). im not too much into pvp, but, i was pretty confident that id be able to hold my own, with my army of 200 well-trained soldiers!

then... the very first attack on my castle! the anticipation and excitement of being able to pit my army against another's! until i saw that the opponent had come at me with a whopping THREE (3) units. thats it. his entire army consisted of THREE (3) units. it might have been laughable, had these THREE (3) units not tore up my ENTIRE army. yes, the one i spent a week training up. i dont care if youre uber ninja orc on crack... 3 dudes should NOT be able to destroy an entire army of 200 or so soldiers. this person won because they paid a few dollars more than i did, and so, got a few units that are apparently immune to regular damage. it was absolutely rediculous. i was so terribly disappointed in this game, that held so much promise.

uninstalled
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM

R-A-B has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSic View Post
i have followed this game since it was in development. i was very excited when it finally went to beta, even tho we could only try out single player. when it finally released i got it right away, anxious to play an actual mmorts. i spent a week raising an army, and fought 50 million bandit camps, leveling that army up (even tho every upgrade i did, to any unit, did not stick, and i would always hafta re-apply the upgrades everytime i clicked on a unit). im not too much into pvp, but, i was pretty confident that id be able to hold my own, with my army of 200 well-trained soldiers!

then... the very first attack on my castle! the anticipation and excitement of being able to pit my army against another's! until i saw that the opponent had come at me with a whopping THREE (3) units. thats it. his entire army consisted of THREE (3) units. it might have been laughable, had these THREE (3) units not tore up my ENTIRE army. yes, the one i spent a week training up. i dont care if youre uber ninja orc on crack... 3 dudes should NOT be able to destroy an entire army of 200 or so soldiers. this person won because they paid a few dollars more than i did, and so, got a few units that are apparently immune to regular damage. it was absolutely rediculous. i was so terribly disappointed in this game, that held so much promise.

uninstalled
Multiplayer has a feel that goes against common expectations and as such can initially be deeply frustrating untill the hidden tricks and traits can be learned.
I would also ask if these 3 units were indeed units or single 'heroes', if so its possible that a combination of skill spending meant that the amount of men you can put around them in melee combat did not do enough damage to outweigh there regen and resistances. Something like this is best countered by specing mass damage and hoping you can wear them down.

I do hope you read this because I can speak from experience that my first multip[layer was a keyboard throwing nightmare that ended in an angry 'report a bug' mail to the devs. But upon deep reflection I was playing the game the way I thought it should be played, not how it actually should be played and changing my playstyle helped dramatically improve my happiness with the game.

I will say that with smaller, more elite armies the problem is you can only get so many people hitting them in the face and as such (as I've said before) high resistances and regen can make them appear immortal. Counters to this are plenty of archers that can all attack regardless of man-to-man contact and as such have a massively increased dps advantage. give them fire arrows that provide 125 of completely unmitigated damage for every man in the unit and those heroes will drop like sacks of arrow punctured and burnt potatoes.

I hope you get a chance to read this, have a rethink and give the whole thing another go.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Reverie World Studios - Community Manager

Hi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of light

His three units or 3 hero's, had nothing to do with pay to win, you can easily get the same units just by playing the game. What level was your army and your units how were they specced, you need to take that all into account.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

theinternetman has fair reputation

These players quitting will hopefully be a wakeup call for unit resistances to be nerfed across the board. I would even go so far as to suggest the complete removal of the ability to upgrade unit resistances because clearly the developers are not aware of the insane mitigation never seen in any other RTS to date that is present in DoF.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Reverie World Studios - Community Manager

Hi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of lightHi11Zone is a glorious beacon of light

Once again I will re assure you, it is not pay to win, yes you can build faster, yes you can buy resources or units, but you still have to spend hours leveling them. Also you probably had no idea but their is daily rewards for free for all players for any item in the market place including units.

I could buy 100000s crowns, and I would be no better then a player with 200. You can't fight someones castle if they have a higher rank then you. This is an mmo, its supposed to be slow, your supposed to get satisfaction of building up your town. An average town with out crown spending can take 25 hrs. Your not supposed to be done in 1 hr like starcraft or age of empires. Yes their is a very steep learning curve, I will give you that, but we have so many great team members to asist you and great threads on the forum to help you out.

Crowns are so easy to earn. so many of our players can earn up to 500 a day, it's not hard at all, and i've shown the community how to do it.

And once we finish our pathfinding patch, almost done bye the way, it will be a brand new game. Keep in mind their is only 5 of us working on a 20 person project.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Cocozaurus has a default reputation

Resistances should be capped at 60% maximum, it's just ridiculous how far it could get. And with the HP regen it goes even worse.

It's not a Pay to Win, it's just that the combat system is not good enough to provide full enjoyment.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:23 PM

EnglishPlayer has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi11Zone View Post
Once again I will re assure you, it is not pay to win, yes you can build faster, yes you can buy resources or units, but you still have to spend hours leveling them. Also you probably had no idea but their is daily rewards for free for all players for any item in the market place including units.

I could buy 100000s crowns, and I would be no better then a player with 200. You can't fight someones castle if they have a higher rank then you. This is an mmo, its supposed to be slow, your supposed to get satisfaction of building up your town. An average town with out crown spending can take 25 hrs. Your not supposed to be done in 1 hr like starcraft or age of empires. Yes their is a very steep learning curve, I will give you that, but we have so many great team members to asist you and great threads on the forum to help you out.

Crowns are so easy to earn. so many of our players can earn up to 500 a day, it's not hard at all, and i've shown the community how to do it.

And once we finish our pathfinding patch, almost done bye the way, it will be a brand new game. Keep in mind their is only 5 of us working on a 20 person project.
Honestly, i wish the game-play development was even slower. i find myself losing interest in the game due to it not fulfilling my sim-city needs (not enough buildings, everything gets finished SO DAM FAST) Resources come so easily and quickly, they are hardly even a factor. If you ever played games like Ogame or ikariam, those are quite similar to DoF, only they are browser games and have a lot less functional control. i was so excited for DoF being a live moving version of those, but sadly DoF maxes out too fast. playing those games (ikariam and ogame) it took -days- to complete high level buildings, it took actual resource grinding to start their upgrades. research wasn't instant, they took days, sometimes weeks to complete.

but i must inquire, does the company actually make money pass the initial sale of the game to the players? because it seems like crowns are so easy to come by that their isnt a need to spend real cash into the game.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Game Balance Designer, QA

vicious666 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSic View Post

uninstalled
Your argument are invalid. first becouse is soo generic that not deserve even a serious reply, you not specified what units he got what levels, what kind of skilling , you even accused that he payd for such units, and tbh not exist unit in game that you cant get thrue normal play , so payd or not, anyway thegame match your army based on strenght so the pay to win argument is total invalid. he can buy thrue real money 50 heroes if his army have 5000 strenght he will not be matched against a 2000 str army.

The way you talk show to me that you have very low knowledge of the game , your units where probably completely wrong low level and bad skilled, you should reconsider your position and focus more on learn how the game works.

There is units that counter totally other units, so even if you have 10x of them, they are very ineffective even vs only 5 units of their direct counter.

DoF KW race and units guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Cheggers2509 has a default reputation

Pay 2 win? really sorry first post on these forums but no where near is it pay 2 win!

Been playing 10/11 days now, My human pretty much has every hero at least level 30 but only 2 dragons the red and green. Did buy some crowns the first day what is lol now I know a thing or two about the game and how to get crown's. A human can easily get 50-80 crowns a hour with 3 army's in the first 3-5 hours of game play if done right.
Now my elf has 3 armies of almost all level 20 normal units that used gold to level up has all 3 crown shop dragons at around level 25. it has 50 Dwarf miners that can only be brought from the crown shop 7/10 army slots unlocked. And here is the funny part not one code or cash has been spent on the elf character.

This game is so far from pay to win I really don't see why anyone after the first day or so would spend real money on this game other than to support Reverie worlds what I will do some time.
Now if you was going to go on about balance of unit/race's in game I might agree with you (ok will agree) but that is a whole different story that has nothing to do with this post or this childish mentality that most online gamers have nowadays that if they don't understand a game or how it works and has a cash shop that even if only sold cloths will call it pay 2 win some how.

If anything the cash shop is bad, should feel bad and hell does feel just so bad that they should give free stuff everyday to every character in game...... Oh hold on they do that anyway.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Phandaal has a default reputation

OP doesn't understand the mitigation/regen mechanics.

As was already mentioned, some focused fire arrows would have ended this attack in seconds.

This post is the equivalent of a kid playing chess for the first time. Playing black. Getting checkmated in 5 moves with the "Children's Checkmate" strategy. Then posting how the white pieces need to be nerfed.

No clue.