Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Dawn of Fantasy needs lot of work - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM

biggest_kid has a default reputation
Default Dawn of Fantasy needs lot of work

Hey guys have been playing DoF this weekend after getting it in the free giveaway competition, and i must say im quite dissapointed. Being a strategy gamer to the bone(AoE, Starcraft, Dawn of War, Stronghold, Total War series are some of my favs) i really expected more from DoF. Dont get me wrong, the ideas and concepts behind the game are great, i just think they were poorly excecuted or maybe a little rushed.

Some things that need major work:

-Graphics! This is a big one, you'll have a hard time attracting new players in todays age of high tech graphical games with the current extremely low-poly model counts and low resolution textures. Also a vast number of new players who do get the game will probably be turned off by the poor graphics and not play DoF due to this too. (I do play the game on full graphic settings by the way)
-Lots of elements are unfinished; I have started an Elven city in the online mode, and none of the tutorials or any of the quests from Northras are voiced at all, which is very annoying and not very professional, another big turn off. This is just one of many that i think you guys already know about.
-Clunky control mechanics; why have pan camera assigned to the same button as the move command for units?!!! I am always finding when trying to right click an area on the ground to make a unit move there if i move the mouse in the slightest the camera will be panned and the move command will not be given, resulting in my unit doing nothing and more often than not dieing if this happens in a big battle. This definitly needs re-working, though could be changed by remapping keys, which i have yet to investigate.
-Battles are very slow paced; i dont know if this was intended, but battles and missions crawl along at an incredibly slow pace, slower even than the Settlers series, which i am ashamed to say. This is partly due to pathetic unit movement speeds, incredibly slow siege mecahnics, and could also be because of the un-intuitive control mechanics too. Too remedy this i often find myself training countless mounted ranger battalions merely because they move quickly.
-Pathing issues; though these are already being worked so i will save my rant on this issue

Those are just my opinions for now, i am still yet to test out the single player and PvP aspects of the game, though if it as anything like the mmo aspect of the game, i probably wont like it.

In the end, i think there are many good ideas and concepts behind this game, and it definitly shows some potential. But there is still heaps and heaps of work to be done, and i know this wont happen quickly, but hopefully the dev's actually read this forum(unlike on a lot of other game forums) and actually listen to their customers/supporters so that one day i may come back to this game and be pleasantly suprised.

Thanks,
big
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

daikl has a default reputation

They need money for all that.
I dont mind the graphics,i enjoy the gameplay but yeah some nicer graphics would be nice,but nothing too fancy,you must remember that when massive armies meet some PCs won't handle that,so by having outrageous graphics you won't get many people playing.
Graphics don't make the game remember that,there are lots of eye candy games out there that are just full of fail.
Give it time,i like to think of this game as a bottle of wine,it gets better with time.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Nibelton has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggest_kid View Post
-Graphics! This is a big one, you'll have a hard time attracting new players in todays age of high tech graphical games with the current extremely low-poly model counts and low resolution textures. Also a vast number of new players who do get the game will probably be turned off by the poor graphics and not play DoF due to this too. (I do play the game on full graphic settings by the way)
its fine as its is,tho it could use some HD nude amazons

Quote:
-Lots of elements are unfinished; I have started an Elven city in the online mode, and none of the tutorials or any of the quests from Northras are voiced at all, which is very annoying and not very professional, another big turn off. This is just one of many that i think you guys already know about.
sims1 2 3,many games from 9x are unvoiced,nuf said.

Quote:
-Battles are very slow paced; i dont know if this was intended, but battles and missions crawl along at an incredibly slow pace, slower even than the Settlers series, which i am ashamed to say. This is partly due to pathetic unit movement speeds, incredibly slow siege mecahnics, and could also be because of the un-intuitive control mechanics too. Too remedy this i often find myself training countless mounted ranger battalions merely because they move quickly.
disagree,this is not needforspeed,this is field battles and castle sieges.castle sieges can go for months in RL.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

KurokawaMizaki is just above average reputation

battles in my opinion is quite fast passed. Sieges takes longer time a given as you need to pound the enemy's defense so its easier to get inside. I play Elven, Human and Orcs to get a nice feeling to them all.

And i prefer rush in open fields. i been quite successful on just that.
Elvens rush your sentrys up first then your sword infantry behind and long ranged rangers "all points on range to lvl 6" and when your bladestorms gets inside their lines use whirlwind and lots of enemy's dies. killed lots of crossbows and dwarven rifles that way.
and use your hero as a meat sheild as you can get 100% dmg resistance for a few seconds wich can also get into the enemy scirmish units and do alot of dmg

Orcs is i think the easiest race to just rush forward with. Goblin Raiders with max upgrades for their speciality's. and all level points added to dmg. wiill make them fast and very deadly and you get them for free in your tents. So you can easy make large armys and use your earned resources to heal them and build up your settlement and upgrade your units to lvl 5
Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation

Quote:
Hey guys have been playing DoF this weekend after getting it in the free giveaway competition, and i must say im quite dissapointed. Being a strategy gamer to the bone(AoE, Starcraft, Dawn of War, Stronghold, Total War series are some of my favs) i really expected more from DoF. Dont get me wrong, the ideas and concepts behind the game are great, i just think they were poorly excecuted or maybe a little rushed.

Ehm
Well you are setting Single Player Games which only need to Support 1 Player or a prior defined number of players in an prior defined Match
also the Style of the Games dont really match up

The Games you name are all Action Based Fast Combat Games mainly using Tactical Gameplay
DoF is a Long Term Strategy Game not an Action Combat Game
unlike the Games you mentioned in DoF lots of things are decided by your preparation for Battle and in the Battle itself
Sorry but you are looking for things not meant to be in this game if your comparing it to those

Some things that need major work:

Considering its an Online Game the Graphics are Incredible mate
as I said before you cant compare it to Single Player Games
Games like Starcraft or Warhammer are Client Based as you start a new scenario each time you play so you only need to make sure that theres no cheats during the game which makes a Server Side unneeded except for connecting the Computers on Battlenet for example

DoF is an Full Online Game
your Progress during Game is Safed Online
Thats a whole different Story and makes it difficult to go into massive computing details like Warhammer does (by the way Starcraft is in terms of Graphics actually quite bad)

Even nowdays not all Games are Voiced
I would not mind them Voicing the Stuff
but considering the size of the Company I doubt they will do something like that in the near future

-Clunky control mechanics; why have pan camera assigned to the same button as the move command for units?!!! I am always finding when trying to right click an area on the ground to make a unit move there if i move the mouse in the slightest the camera will be panned and the move command will not be given, resulting in my unit doing nothing and more often than not dieing if this happens in a big battle. This definitly needs re-working, though could be changed by remapping keys, which i have yet to investigate.

For a change I agree
the controls atm are not exactly a masterpiece
tough they are working on Pathfinding which will hopefully also address this matter

Thats a matter of Opinion mate
As I said further up
This Game is Strategic Based
the Games you mentioned are Action Based
I for example dont want the Battle Gameplay any faster
I am very fine with the Fact that I can Decide Battles by being the one who secures better strategic Positions and advantages timely instead of the whole Battle solely depending on who clicks his special moves faster and thus beats enemy units down despite any strategic value applied before

-Pathing issues; though these are already being worked so i will save my rant on this issue

Those are just my opinions for now, i am still yet to test out the single player and PvP aspects of the game, though if it as anything like the mmo aspect of the game, i probably wont like it.

In the end, i think there are many good ideas and concepts behind this game, and it definitly shows some potential. But there is still heaps and heaps of work to be done, and i know this wont happen quickly, but hopefully the dev's actually read this forum(unlike on a lot of other game forums) and actually listen to their customers/supporters so that one day i may come back to this game and be pleasantly suprised.

Thanks,
big

Well mate
sorry to tell ya
but most likely you might really not like this game

which is fine as tastes are different
I for example see much more pressing problems and dislike most stuff you wrote
not a surprise
I am slow Paced Strategy Gamer I am playing either Slow Paced Games or Turn Based Games
you on the other hand surely play mainly action based games

nothing personal but I dont think its good to address such personal opinions as Bugs

Greetz
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM

aramsm has a default reputation

But he menitoned Total War series, wich is turned based game. Its very slow specially the combat, siege and multiplayer fights. This doesnt make sense for me.