Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

lots of questions - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 AM

Phylast has a default reputation
Default lots of questions

Weather:
I read about some of the weather conditions that are going to be implemented up to snow and how the weather will effect unit performance. I was wondering

A) Will the whether effect unit speed?

B) Will some units/ factions be more or less effected by certain whether? For instance dragons are huge creatures that have half the penalty from snow.

C) Will there be times of extreme weather conditions? For instance a few minutes of high wind gusting from a near by hurricane.

D) If there are extreme weather conditions would a dust bowl effect be possible (in appropriate areas) that would create a passable wall of dust that blankets the battleground (much like snow, but effects units more drastically/ negatively)

Transportation Units:
This might not be necessary based on the size of each instance or plausible since speed is always taken into consideration as a crucial statistic, but I was wondering if there were going to be dedicated transportation units? I read that units may take 2-3 minutes to reach the other keep, well what if an expensive unit would transport small to medium size units quicker. Or even large size units. There could be a limit on the distance in which troops could be transported from a designated spot, and have a limited amount of transporters available.
Could make the transportation idea solely a dragon ability (dropping in beserkers along side fire attacks.

Siege Fatigue:
I didn't find any information if there was going to be any prolonged fatigue after defending an attack. For instance if the walls don't encompass found producing foundries, will the stronghold dwindle in luster after two hours of game play siege (approximately one in-game-week) and no break? Could be an interesting options to make a push for caravans to come in every 30 minutes or so.

This also lends to the idea of scorched earth. I'm not sure how the resource gathering is going to progress in game, but there should be a way to slow to the progression.

Terrain Interaction:
I read that you guys are attempting to keep the overall terrain bland for numerous reasons, but is it possible to take advantage of specific terrains? What comes to mind first and foremost is the boulder up the hill trick. Or building temporary obstacles at the edge of river terrain. More advanced terrain utilization would be destroying a dam causing a flood, digging trenches, flooding trenches, creating a brush or tree perimeter, causing a brush fire, etc.

Splash Damage:
I missed if there was anything written, but will units have the possibility to cause collateral damage? IE: siege weapons, archers, breath weapons, magic?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 AM

Ginko has a default reputation

Quote:
I missed if there was anything written, but will units have the possibility to cause collateral damage? IE: siege weapons, archers, breath weapons, magic?
i think this is a must, siege weapons should be used to shoot walls, and not in the middle of the battlefield

Quote:
I didn't find any information if there was going to be any prolonged fatigue after defending an attack. For instance if the walls don't encompass found producing foundries, will the stronghold dwindle in luster after two hours of game play siege (approximately one in-game-week) and no break? Could be an interesting options to make a push for caravans to come in every 30 minutes or so.

This also lends to the idea of scorched earth. I'm not sure how the resource gathering is going to progress in game, but there should be a way to slow to the progression.
fatigue will be a universal thing im guessing.. every unit gets fatigued.. like in the Total War series
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Catapults have friendly fire. Their questionable accuracy along with their boulders which explode upon hit can leave you with more dead troops than the enemy if you aren't careful.

Archer friendly fire is questionable; it is a matter of testing whether it is best or not. It's easy to implement, we just flick a switch on or off.

Quote:

A battle will not last two hours unless someone makes a scenario where each player has infinite spawns.

We are toying with the idea of clicking a button on siege units to 'buy' them ammo for X stone (similar to in the Stronghold games). Will probably not be decided until beta.

Quote:
I read that you guys are attempting to keep the overall terrain bland for numerous reasons, but is it possible to take advantage of specific terrains? What comes to mind first and foremost is the boulder up the hill trick. Or building temporary obstacles at the edge of river terrain. More advanced terrain utilization would be destroying a dam causing a flood, digging trenches, flooding trenches, creating a brush or tree perimeter, causing a brush fire, etc.
This isn't terrain per se, but units. You could script these units in your scenario.

Quote:
Weather:
I read about some of the weather conditions that are going to be implemented up to snow and how the weather will effect unit performance. I was wondering ...
A) Weather will effect much more than speed. It will slightly change the way you play for a short period of time (not enough that it would severely hamper someone who didn't know what he was doing, though).

B) Perhaps.

C) See B.

D) See C.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

[quote=Andy Joslin;12673]
Archer friendly fire is questionable; it is a matter of testing whether it is best or not. It's easy to implement, we just flick a switch on or off.

Perhaps you should implement a 'hardcore' gametype where friendly fire is enabled?

If wind is incorporated and it can effect arrow flights then perhaps a mage would have the ability to cause a short gush of wind to cause all arrows to alter course? Would be a useful tactic when attacking a fortified city, especially if you had a few mages and could minimise your losses...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Default excellent

[quote=nickson104;12739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joslin View Post

Perhaps you should implement a 'hardcore' gametype where friendly fire is enabled?

If wind is incorporated and it can effect arrow flights then perhaps a mage would have the ability to cause a short gush of wind to cause all arrows to alter course? Would be a useful tactic when attacking a fortified city, especially if you had a few mages and could minimise your losses...

I like the idea. Could even make the function a regional ability, as in only in certain regions can this skill be accessed. Like near Mountains or whatever.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Kell Aset has a default reputation

From what I have seen here there will be no such thing, I mean long term fatigue because they said it is quite easy to get on your feet after battles in short time, repair everything etc. But units have stamina bar and it is possible that cities after defeat will lose level.

As to friendly fire, for now it seems there is none.

From FAQ:
--- Added February 22, 2009
Q. How are projectiles handled in Dawn of Fantasy?
A. Projectiles in the game are all simulated. An archer's range will be quite large, although the farther away you are the less accurate your archers become. The same physics apply to any increase in height, but unlike some games, Dawn of Fantasy is much more realistic in this aspect. If you have an archer on a mountain a hundred miles high, you won't be able to shoot across the map accurately. Projectiles do not follow their targeted unit seen in many other games.
We are still deciding about friendly fire with projectiles. right now, arrows ignore allies all together.
Right now also if the target is to far away for a semi direct shot or on the other side of the wall, archers will volley their arrows up in the air at a decent degree for a long range rain of inaccurate arrows.
Note:We are still debating if every arrow will cost a very small amount of wood to restrict overuse.

There be no dragons in game for player at least for now, but horses are there, units can mount them and dismount.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joslin View Post
This isn't terrain per se, but units. You could script these units in your scenario.
Like modding the game? Or in the normal game instances?

In the stronghold games you could tag along ammo carts for extra ammo for siege engines. This idea may be extended to a mobile ammo/ healing bay.

Friendly Fire:
Friendly fire along with accuracy variability will help deter abuse of ranged units. Of course, depending on how often weather effects the accuracy the units may drown out on the priority list to create.

Catapult loading:
Will orcs be able to load some of their own units into a catapult? For instance a group of small goblins, or even normal orcs to hurl over walls every so often.

Horse capturing:
Will an opposing faction be able to capture and utilize horses left on the battlefield? As in will units from separate factions be able to use horses like a neutral unit until forfeited?

Terrain burning:
Could units pre-battle oil a small piece of a field and then have fire archers (or a fire wielding unit) strike the oiled field causing the field to alight? Like in Braveheart.

Wind:
Is there going to be a general wind direction? This may be entirely out of the scope of the game, but it would be interesting to add a little player skill to ranged attacks if there is going to be a set wind direction universally effecting projectiles. Also it would be a nice effect to see tree movement sway in waves as wind passed in a continual direction through them. It seems though that there's going to be a windy sound with general animations putting a overall negative attribute on projectiles. This could also speed-up and slow flying unit progression with and against the wind. Could make it simple and make the angles in which are positive and negative a mere 180 degree arc.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Grizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylast View Post
Like modding the game? Or in the normal game instances?
Catapult loading:
Will orcs be able to load some of their own units into a catapult? For instance a group of small goblins, or even normal orcs to hurl over walls every so often.
This would be hilarious, but surely firing your guys from a catapult would kill them. Perhaps if you could put livestock in for comedy purposes or even flaming pigs (pig fat burns) to scorch the ground of an enemies base for a while damaging units that walk through it.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Kell Aset has a default reputation

Flying cows heh, well there is always a possibility to implement ability to throw diseased dead animals with catapults at enemy to poison entire town.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Plague victims, anyone?