Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reviews? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 PM

pareod has a default reputation
Default Reviews?

Hey guys, the holidays are coming up and I was thinking of picking this game up. I didn't want to go into it blind and waste money, so I searched for reviews. I couldn't find one review for this game, and barely any game play. Why is there no footage or reviews, and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Pareod
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

feneur has fair reputation

I've seen at least two reviews of the game, don't remember the links though, but either way they reviewed the game right around the time when it was released and the game really wasn't ready to be released at that time. It will probably take some more time before it's perfect, but most of what the reviews complained about (at least the actual bugs) are fixed already, and they keep working on it with new patches at least about once or twice a week. There are also quite a few new features they plan to add, so there's lots of hope for the future.

That said, I'd buy this game more for what it can be (and to support the developers) than for what it is at the moment, there are still quite some bugs. That doesn't mean that it isn't fun to play, just that you sometimes run into bugs. If the bugs cause you to lose troops or something just post about it in the forums with a log file and some info about what happened and the developers will help you. Either they will restore things or give you "Influence" (basically the ingame currency) if they are unable to, so all you lose is a bit of your time. So in the end that's what it comes down to, do you have enough time for the game at the moment, or not? If you feel that you don't have much time perhaps it's better to wait a couple of months until things are a bit more stable.

Don't just take my opinion though, hopefully others will post as well
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

I'd suspect we'll start seeing reviews this month as the game is getting into shape (it's not there yet) and the bugs are going down and features up . So feel free to wait and read some reviews or the forums to get a feel for it or you can just jump in and get started, atm dwarves are on the cheap having invaded all the lands in force but sounds like they'll be leaving us soon to go smith or smelt in their caverns .
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

We are not like big games and publishers like EA that finish version 1 then abandon it and make game number 2.

Buy the game for what it will become not only for what it is!

Here is two small user reviews' i seen, there is not to many reviews for it yet as we just separated with 505 games and where busy as hell fixing bugs, its a Saturday and i just signed off 7 and a half hours fixing bugs and balancing issues:

"JShoome Nov 24, 2011 8/10
My wife and I picked up this gem this week and cant stop playing. Sure it's not as good looking as anno2070 but this is just as addictive - and the fact that it's all online and u can fight each other seals the deal. I might post updated review once i get more time. We recommend this to everyone who likes town building and blooooooody battles! I'd give this a perfect 10 if graphics were a bit better. 8/10"

"wArrior_DoTa Nov 2, 2011 10/10
Great game, maybe rushed a bit, but youknowwhat - it`s in much better shape than Strongcrap 3 or GoT: Genesis. Gameplay idea is the most original I`ve seen lately, finally someone got MMO Strategy right. 10/10 Visually the game is stunning, super friendly community and lots to do! Sure it`s no Shogun 2, but sometimes I find game world even more appealing, especially with all the season changes and so on. Love the game`s music - Elves FTW! Although sound effects could use a bit of work. This would have been my favorite strategy game of all times if it wasn`t for the few bugs and work in progress stuff like town sieges and guilds... But the guys who are making the game are working really hard at fixing everything, and the new town I started this week runs just fine. They already released countless number of patches in whatever few days the game been out and Halloween promo with the free bloody dragon just rocked! I`d recommend this game to anyone - but you better have a good comp, it runs well for me - but I`ve seen some players complain about performance on old Windows XP laptops. But again to show how good support team is - they even give refunds to players who get bad performance."

What are your systems specs pareod because you will have a much better experience if you have a powerful computer. if you have xp with moderate specs, duel core 512 video, then i'd reccomend you to wait a month or two for lagspike fixes!

You can also think about this, if you buy dawn of fantasy, my share of that money is just under 4.80$ for 4.5 years of work on my part making massive portions of the game and for all future work I will be continually doing! That money goes towards paying rent and buying food ~ Not buying CEO a sports car or filling large rich company's pockets.

And welcome to the forums by the way!

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 AM

pareod has a default reputation

Thanks for the information Joseph and I hope you take the time to read this. I'm surprised at the level of dedications of the developers. I would buy the game in a heart beat because it promises incredible things; however, I've recently quit another game that promised as much called Mortal Online.

I was involved in Block A beta about 2 1/2 years ago. After the game launched in an unstable state with placeholder mounts and AI, the devs stopped talking to us. It took almost a year for the intended horses to be put in, and that patch broke the game for 2 weeks. A year and a half later, the so called "hard-working devs" still have a game with horrible placeholder AI, bland environments, houses that get rain through roofs and grass through floors, a bad melee system, and nothing to do besides get into a team of 25 and go kill anyone trying to find what scarce enjoyment there was in that game.

A while ago, in an attempt to find a new game, i chanced upon this game in the beta and got my beta code. However, the installer had major issues with my system and wouldn't install. I posted on the forums and got general advice with no real answer. I hope the released game will install correctly, because I have vista 32 bit, nvidia gt 8800 graphics card, 4gb of ram, and 120gb of memory. I can run Skyrim on ultra.

I found out town sieges aren't in and that makes me hesitate, because I don't want to buy this game and see it go nowhere. I'll be blunt, the release seems pre-mature, but as of now you guys seem dedicated to adding content. Besides any reply to my previous comments, I just want to know: Is it one big mmo server for everyone? How do you defend while offline? How much time must I put into making a successful city? And finally, when will town seiging and any other essentials be implemented?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Hey, welcome to DOF.

First of all, town sieges are in as of a couple of weeks ago. You don't need to worry about being offline; you won't be attacked, ever, unless you're logged in.

Building your city takes time, especcially since town sieges have been added. It dosen't take too long to get your town up and running with all the basic buildings you need; but to have a "finished" city, with multiple layers of walls and a dozen or so towers, it takes a while

And yes, it's just one really big server.

If you ask me, I'd say either get the game (because it's awesome) or wait a while for more content to be added and more bugs to be fixed. Just depends on how bored you are, I guess.

Anyway, hope to see you in the game.