Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Restrictions in skirmish - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Staufftw has a default reputation
Default Restrictions in skirmish

All in the title ! Would be nice to see Units and Magic Spell restrictions. (for skirmish battles)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I kind of understand what you mean: limit things so that you can focus on developing specific strategies to counter specific foes in specific situations.

Specificly.

However, mages, or units that use magic, take a long time to develop in skills etc.. I do not think it is possible to have a skirmish in which magic is used, since you never start with a mage. Perhaps starting with a mage could be made an available option?

As far as limiting units, however, that also limits strategy. I mean, I do not see much fun in cutting out the legs from under an opponent and then scream victory and start raving over my achievement after I kill him with arrows.

Point of that analogy: Each race uses its different units in different ways, limiting units really limits the capabilities of the AI. That is why there are different difficulty levels.

So, I think I can see where you are going with this, but I do not think it would be effective.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Staufftw has a default reputation

I think about Multiplayer skirmish, If you can turn it on/off, and all players agree ... why not ?

Atm I don't know if removing one units of one race make the game really unbalanced or boring, but sure that's not like some rts where you have 3 tech level with a lot of units type where you can find No Land / No Air / No Naval ... restrictions.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

If it is a skirmish, as I said before, right now I do not believe you can have magic, period. Howevv,er I think it is something that would be nice to implement as it would give players a chance to use some magic even if they have not gotten their mage leveled up that far in the MMORTS.

If magic becomes allowed in skirmish games, I think there should be an allowed/unallowed toggle. Just like there is often for cheat codes.

Now, if the battle is in the MMORTS... that as an entirely different story.

Well, part of the trouble with removing things in DoF is that there are no ages or tech levels - a lot of things depend more on availability of resources, research of upgrades, and experience of units. Though, I guess limiting upgrades could work, I am just not sure how that would affect the balance of the game, and I think removing units would affect it much more.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 AM

myashin has a default reputation

I dont think removing units would be of any use, it would only dampen the game, maybe if mages are hard to balance they could be split into more sub classes of mages for example: clerics that support, battle-mages that lay down offensive spells,sorcerers that give defensive spells and maybe immobilize enemies forces for a short time(elves root, humans iced ground, orcs hmmm maybe dew?)