Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

stop hacking down my wall! - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Vigilus has good reputation
Default stop hacking down my wall!

So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on!

I hope that this won't be implemented into the game.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Toth has a default reputation

I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on!

It is not, Reverie realised that while that would be the easy thing to do, it makes no logical sense. In order to assault a stronghold you have to have a siege unit, or oversized one if i remember rightly (ogres/dragons).

It was annoying when you have your walls, but then they are ripped down by a mob of peasants wielding pitchforks... Not quite the image you want for your unconquerable city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toth View Post
I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.
Siege weapons will be important, however you can buy them at mercenary camps or create your own. Also some quests may provide some as a reward, especially early on with the starter quests. The games economy revolves greatly around quests and resources, specifically gold. Gold is the standard resource, all the others are more specific, gold is currency, trade will be important in the game. Gold can buy you a number of units at mercenary camps, and prepare you for more questing or a siege, to gain you more resources!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM

lonewolf9567 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post

Dude in stronghold, which i actually think is realistic.

Wood = Cuttable

Stone = not cuttable
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

At least in Stronghold you can't arrow down a wall.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:26 PM

jleem21 has a default reputation

lol I remember that from Stronghold...Swordsmen hacking down at my walls and towers, witnessing a long crackle travel from the root to the roof always left me like. "..wtf?!" Glad to know that you their be no successful sieges consisting of nothing but standard melee units, successful only because of their mass numbers.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 AM

Nermal has a default reputation

Surely hope theres no way a swordsman can hack through a wall, wood or stone....... Come on maybe a sword can bite on a wood palisade, but hell i dont see my men hack and slash a wooden wall and then male stroll to the blacksmith a hour after saying hey sharpen my sword again please
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Only siege engines can get through walls, don't worry
Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM

SmasherKao has a default reputation

yeah good times in Stronghold xD
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Homebrew has a default reputation

Good series of games, but I do agree about the hacking at the walls, was only bad thing in the game in my opinion. Love how the defenses look in the screens for this game. Will the wood burn?