Religion and Gods - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation
Default Religion and Gods

This is something ive been wondering for some while. Will there be deities in DoF, and if yes would you be able to worship them for special effects like divine interventions?

Last edited by Yami-Yagari : 04-18-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

I worship Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for those.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

God no.

We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.
Certain people still tie anything into "blasphemy!" It just needs to stay out unfortunately.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Maybe it would be nice to have some sort of demigods, for example elementals (or x creature) that is great in power (magical and raw) and immortal (unless killed) so ppl around there fear it and therefore must sacrifice things or it attacks them or take them rain (if some kind water elemental) or bring snow sooner. But you can gather forces and try to kill it. Some kind of boss encounter idea =).

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Aothane has a default reputation

Quote:
We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.
gods are not necessary for objective morality, and in and of themselves would not necessitate the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept, depending on the lore and overall relevance. However, if their placement is simply an afterthought it would show through and simply dilute the core premise of the setting and situation. Both Warhammer and AD&D make full use of these concepts, however their background is that much more extensive as well as relatively established. For Dawn of Fantasy I gather most of the focus is more immediate in context, maybe dieties and gods will have a place in the developing scheme, but all of that remains to be seen.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Put in dragons and giants, give them a speech box. Make them say worship me and then you can kill it... Like ALWAYS the gods are made to be killed
Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

religion doesnt have to mean bad and good, druids are a perfect example, their actions made it a personal choice not imposing the choices.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aothane View Post
gods are not necessary for objective morality, and in and of themselves would not necessitate the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept, depending on the lore and overall relevance. However, if their placement is simply an afterthought it would show through and simply dilute the core premise of the setting and situation. Both Warhammer and AD&D make full use of these concepts, however their background is that much more extensive as well as relatively established. For Dawn of Fantasy I gather most of the focus is more immediate in context, maybe dieties and gods will have a place in the developing scheme, but all of that remains to be seen.
In my story at least, I am portraying the various races as having religions, but all of them are different - they oppose each other. There fore the observer [gamer, reader, etc.] must choose between them. Same as chosing your own individual race.