Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation
Exclamation Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps

Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps

Hello, I would like to suggest a way to transfer custom maps over the online part of DOF, that people will make after the game is released. For most RTS games the custom map is transferred just before the loading screen.
I believe the map should be transferred inside the game room where the players choose their side, color, team, etc.
This system is used by the game: Age of Mythology, I believe DOF choose use this and improve it. Allow the players to talk during the transfer; allow the host to be able to kick people if the transfer is taking to slow; allow the host to transfer to certain people when ever he wishes; the joiners have to accept and or request the transfer; This will also allow players to get the transfer individually between the host, and or just join a game to get a really cool map and host your own game.

I believe this system is way better then the current RTS games such as bfme2 and cnc3, where everyone’s transfer is at 99% and the transfer times out after the 2 minutes...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Definitely starting download after the game launches is the wrong way to do it.

There actually isn't a good reason for restricting downloads from the host, either. Why not allow others who joined the game who already have the map to send it to others who don't?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
There actually isn't a good reason for restricting downloads from the host, either. Why not allow others who joined the game who already have the map to send it to others who don't?
Awsome idea! totally agree.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:52 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

please correct me if im wrong,

so you upload any map by yourself and if people dont have it they get kicked,

what i like better is that make use of the world wide map in pics and you can choose of aa wide range of battle fiealds
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARROW94 View Post
please correct me if im wrong,

so you upload any map by yourself and if people dont have it they get kicked,

what i like better is that make use of the world wide map in pics and you can choose of aa wide range of battle fiealds
no you got it wrong, when people come into your game room where your waiting for players to begin the game, you have will a custom map up, you trasfer give the players that dont have the map inside the gameroom rather before the game. if the trasfer is to lagy and slow to one player you still have an option to kick that slow connection players and wait for a new player.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM

oh ok thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps Allow the players to talk during the transfer; allow the host to be able to kick people if the transfer is taking to slow; allow the host to transfer to certain people when ever he wishes; the joiners have to accept and or request the transfer; This will also allow players to get the transfer individually between the host, and or just join a game to get a really cool map and host your own game.
I like the idea of letting players go in a game for the map only.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Actually, I don`t think there is need for anything tricky, other than peer-to-server, server-to-peer. Most maps will be 200k in size max, not a big deal even on a dial-up. And we plan do upload maps before the game starts - inside the lobby.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 PM

ohh ok now that i read corretley this idea is even better then the master thread it self ...i totaly love this idea lol i was so far off when i first read it
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 PM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

An improved system of how Battle.net handles maps would suffice too.