Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Highlighting units - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough
Question Highlighting units

In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

That's quite a good idea; I had noticed the outlines but thought nothing of them! I too would prefer a dainty little circle.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

The outlines did look a little, well, strange. Whereas the outlines for AoE 2 were done very nicely [outlnes only appeared when they were behind objects] the ones for DoF were a little accentuated. I think the AoE 2 approach would work better with DoF - highlight only when hidden from view [out of sight] but still selected, and give selected units a circle or health bar when selected and visible.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift sword View Post
In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.
There are a lot less units in most standard RTSes. Doesn't Total War use outline? Been forever since I've played it so I could be off here.

I do like the way it is right now though, it's very helpful when zoomed out at the maximum. Not really sure if circles would be visible enough. I like the idea of an option regarding how bright or at least an on/off however. It's something I'd have to see in game to decide which I liked more.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

total war series uses a circle under the units.

The outline does look wierd, but I might not look as bad seeing the game in motion. Sometimes screenshots don't do thing justice. I might be the color too, as white might not be the right color to use.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Good points Krabs. Yes, Josh, DoF will have many more units than other RTSs. Maybe when you are zoomed out [hardo to see things] your units will apear shaded [a specific color] - may not be able to tell what unit it is, but will be able to tell it is yours [in contrast with the enemies]. Would that work?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

For the zooming out problem, Star Wars:Empire at War (awesome game BTW) had icons that floated near the fighter squadrons, so it was clear what was where. They also helped with selecting the smaller ships at a distance. I reckon this would be a good thing to use in DoF, as it is very unobtrusive also.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

If you are zoomed out really far, an icon could be too annoying, obtrusive, and in the way, especially with the amount of units in this game. I believe having circles under them would be better, but then again, I haven't seen the game in action so I couldn't really judge. The highlighting doesn't look the best, I believe that circles under the units could be better visually than highlighting them.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)