Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Create-A-Battle Competition

UPDATE: This contest is outdated and no longer offers beta keys. You are still welcome to post a story in the Lore & Fanfiction forum however.

Summary

Interested in pushing your imagination to the limits? Want to do something to fill your time while you wait for beta release? Looking forward to seeing vast, unit-filled battles on the screen? Then this contest is for you! The goal of this competition is to create the most creative battle between two opposing forces. As long as it's related to Dawn of Fantasy in someway (no guns, stuff like that) anything is fair game!

What to include

Your battle should include the races of the two opposing forces, the weaponry each side brings into play, the initial encounter, and the result of the battle as a whole. You should include the commanders of each army/force and their personalities and leadership skills. You should also include statistics like the number of units each side has. Having a detailed background and the battle set in one of the game's territories may be a good idea. Make sure to give a detailed descripion of the battle as a whole- such as the movement of different battalions and the various victories and losses on both sides.

Rules
  • The description may be as long as you like
  • You are free to- and encouraged to- include a picture of any kind. This may be hand drawn, made in paint, or used with picture editing tools like photoshop. Note that these are not required.
  • Voting will done by your peers.
  • Your battle does not have to include just the three current races- it may include any of the forgotten races as well. It can also involve more than one army, but I'd advise against "Battle of the Five Armies" ripoffs
  • Entries are to be posted here, along with a link to any pictures you may decide to include.
Voting

Voting will begin when we have at least 5 entries. It will be done by peer voting as stated. There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and free cookies will be given to the winners (kidding!) Voting will last 3 days. Voting will begin on Tuesday, January 19th! Get your entries ready!
When voting, here are some guidelines-

What to take into consideration
  • The environment. A detailed environment/background is an excellent addition.
  • The creativity- "Battle of the Five Armies" ripoffs are not cool
  • The detail placed into the weaponry, unit types, intial confrontation, and ensuing battles are important.
  • The commanders. These units should essentially be detailed heroes with their own personalities, leadership skills and battle skills. These units may die in the battle, but another must take their place unless they die in the last confrontation.
  • The result. An interesting result, like a treatie signed or both armies utterly destroyed, is good to have.
Prizes
At first, this competition was intended as nothing more than a fun contest of the wits and brains between the forumers of this community. No prizes were to be given out to the winners, except for of course bragging rights. However, recently Alex Walz, our benevolent Publicist and Assistant Producer, offered up a 2nd stage beta key to the 1st place winner. As long as everyone agrees on this, this is to be the golden prize which is far better than anything anyone could've offered up.

Start creating your battles. I realize nobody has seen the game, but that's great to get some imaginative people rolling. I'd put up an example, but I'm to busy right now and it's late. Good luck and have fun- who knows, you may get some DoF screenshots of your battle for your efforts *wink wink @ Devs*
(just kidding of course, getting people motivated)

Last edited by LiTos456 : 01-21-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Contest no longer in effect.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Anyone planning on entering this
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

bikkebakke has a default reputation

oooooh this sounds interesting, I might write something, even do some drawings if I get to a scanner ^^

**also gonna wait until someone writes one and I get a perspective about how it should be done :P

Last edited by bikkebakke : 11-14-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

It looks very organized, and I can of course say I like and am glad that you're using the Create-A idea and taking it further that just the official contests that were being run at DoFS (and one at DoFH) but unfortunately I don't have time I'd love to enter and show off some creativity but I'm really short on free time, so sorry.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

That's great bikkebakke! Looking forward to your entry

Yes, sorry about the Hero mixup...I didn't mean to copy you guys, the idea that the competition might be cool just popped into my head. Didn't even know you guys had used it
Too bad you can't enter, but I feel for you on the free-time. I was seriously short earlier this week
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Don't worry about the mix up, I was a little fussy about it at first but it's really no problem. Good luck with getting the entries, I look forward to some interesting stories this contest will spawn.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Ellie has a default reputation
Default Create A Battle Competition

The only battles I auto-resolve are some of the "epic" battles. The end battle can just be sooo dull. I admit, when I started playing I would never have even thought of auto-resolving anything.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

i think i will post for sure but get ready for an epic mountain fortress battle. and will we be able to win beta keys?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach12wqasxz View Post
i think i will post for sure but get ready for an epic mountain fortress battle. and will we be able to win beta keys?
I wouldn't think so. The contest was started by someone not from Reverie and so far no one has posted in this thread or anywhere else about this contest being anything other than for fun.

Edit: And corrected did I stand lol.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)

Last edited by Darathor : 01-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

I will give it a go but depending on what else is happening in this week and next i wont make any promises as this is going to take some planning.