Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

How many publishers - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Gleem Gleem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 42
Gleem has a default reputation
Default How many publishers

does it take to make the greatest RTS game ever?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Chris Harshman's Avatar
Chris Harshman Chris Harshman is offline
Reverie World Studios
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58
Chris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputation
Default

0, but it takes one very good game studio.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Joseph Visscher's Avatar
Joseph Visscher Joseph Visscher is offline
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada B.C.
Posts: 1,279
Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscisco View Post
0, but it takes one very good game studio.

Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.
__________________
Joseph B. Visscher - JBV3737

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Chris Harshman's Avatar
Chris Harshman Chris Harshman is offline
Reverie World Studios
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58
Chris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post

Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.

My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Josh Warner's Avatar
Josh Warner Josh Warner is offline
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 809
Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscisco View Post
My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.
Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.
__________________
Remember to read the FAQ before asking questions! http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Andy Joslin's Avatar
Andy Joslin Andy Joslin is offline
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 495
Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice
Default

S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Chris Harshman's Avatar
Chris Harshman Chris Harshman is offline
Reverie World Studios
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58
Chris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.
Regardless of that my point still stands, highly recommended, but again not required.

I am not debating whether it is likely to happen, but that it could and does happen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Darvin's Avatar
Darvin Darvin is offline
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice
Default

Quote:
S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company
That probably qualifies as the eccentric millionaire investor.

Anyways, you need to get your product on retail shelves. Digital distribution is a big phenomenon, but it's still only a tiny piece of the pie compared to retailers. Read an article yesterday that suggested for every one digital copy sold, Walmart alone sells ten boxed copies.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
www.RTSCommunity.com
----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Kingdom Wars and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.