I've been unable to log in since last night (starting at around 10pm). I'm still unable to log in this morning, as of 6:10am. My suggestion:
1. Develop a way to monitor these types of issues
2. Assign competent individuals to receive these monitoring alerts and provide them with an escalation route
3. Immediately post a downtime notification to your main website and to the forum (perhaps input a banner)
4. Either state that there is an ETA or that there is none, but give the status of an ETA before the status of work being done to fix the problem
5. Preventative measures!
6. Full disclosure: what happened, why, how it was resolved, and then state why it won't likely happen again (at least not the same way)
You give people that, you'll have solid customers that will endure outages with relative ease. While "waking up the programmers" is funny and maybe dead-on true, saying "we're working to engage all the necessary resources to resume services as soon as possible" rings a bit deeper and give people a sense that you're treating this situation with professional integrity.
That's just my two cents. Thanks for the great game all-the-same