Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Reverie's Next Game? Your Wishes!
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreicde View Post
Ahem you played too much heroes of might and magic lol.Good idea,but bad concept with those races. I would say something which would be more unique. Human races,orc races,elf races, undead races,elementals race, wizard race(even if it's not an actual race but a faction), angels race, etc. Traditional stuff with something new . Other than that,great ideas!
How'd you know? Yeah, I wrote that about a year ago, when I was really into heroes of might and magic. And I agree, those races can pretty much be found in any fantasy game in existance (except the minotaurs, though they're pretty popular too).

But my other idea, that one's a bit more orignal: Humans, Wizards, Elves/demigods, and Orcs/Goblins/Trolls/boar people/etc.

Here's some more background on those races, and the history of the world:

The Formorians (the wizards) are a sub-race of humans. Standing seven feet tall on average, they are lords amoung mankind. They were given powers of magic long ago by the Phoenix, a now unworshipped god who heralds the end of ages. For a time, the Formorians were near gods to mortal men.

But something happened: the Formorians began to see themselves as gods. They conquered all other peoples of the world, building an empire that spanned the globe, killing all who opposed them. Bored with thier success, the greatest of the Formorians turned to a new project: opening ways into other worlds.

In doing so, they gained more power...for a time. But some of the beings on the other side were greater than the sorcerers expected. When these beings entered into our world, the Formorians were powerless to stop them. They ravenged the mighty empire, and divided it amoung themselves. Instead of worshipping the Formorians, mankind bowed before these new beings, who they called gods.

Among these gods, nine were counted as the great ones, and they each ruled mighty kingdoms in the mortal world. Often, they would war against one another, using willing and unwilling humans for their soldiers. But in times of peace, they would meet at the place men called Melasarn, the "City in the Clouds". It was a vast swath of rock and soil that these gods had torn from the earth and set in the sky, forming a floating continent. All the land beneath it, for hundreds of miles, grew dead from the eternal darkness cast from the continent's shadow; and many of the men in these lands were twisted by the gods' magics.

Many long centuries would pass before the Dark Gods were beaten back, and all the earth would be torn apart before then. The worst tradegy of all the Dark Gods' wars was the Siege of the Tree, when the human and demonic (or godly, depending on who's talking) forces attacked the Great Tree Yggdrasil, whose massive trunk was several hundred miles high, and more than 50 miles wide. The Sídhe, who dwelt in the tree's soaring branches, defended thier home (which they also worshipped) with all the power of their magic and legendary griffon riders. But in the end, the Dark Gods were victorious; to celebrate thier victory, they tore the World Tree up from its roots and threw it to the earth, as the remnants of the Sídhe fled.

Another great war was between the gods and the dragons, who had followed through the pathway to destroy the world. But soon, many of the dragons fell in love with the mortal world, and decided to protect it, fighting against thier kin. But both factions of dragons were crushed by the Dark Gods; even though one god was found conspiring with the monsters. He was killed by his fellow gods, as none could pass up an excuse to eliminate a rival.

But eventually, a mighty sorcerer of the Formorians (who had dwindled to a nomadic people since the gods invaded) led the armies of the free humans into the Shadowed Lands and up the Golden Stair, to the sacred City in the Clouds itself. This sorcerer, named Raegis, slew three of the gods in their palaces; the rest fled to their safe places, trying to regain their strength.

And eventually, they might of, except that the Phoenix appeared on the earth; and with his arrival, the power of the gods was forever broken, although some still lived on, plotting to regain their former glory.

Raegis went on to found the Second Formorian Empire, and his people became strong once again, building cities and gaining knowledge. The Formorians now dwelt far to the west of thier original home, and far from the wars of the gods. They found new power in summoning creatures from beyond the world; but they were very careful not to stray into the domains of beings greater than themselves, least more Dark Gods enter the world. For a time, they were happy.

The Sídhe, also, regained some of thier power; they settled amoung the bones of the Great Tree, whose seeds sprouted vast forests that covered the landscape. As always, the Sídhe lived as a race apart, for they were not truly human, but half-human and half-god (though most certainly not the Dark Gods; instead, they were descended from the Tree itself, which is from where their magic comes). Their civilization prospered from trade with the humans, whose knowledge of metal and stone was much welcomed.

Before the Gods came, the most powerful nation of the eastern humans was Tuatha. After the wars, the Tuathians migrated into the western lands, which eventually brought them into contact with the Formorians. At the time, the Tuathians were led by the powerful and tyranical King Arathar. He made war on the Formorians, stealing their lands for his own people to settle in. But he underestimated the power of the sorcerers, and the Tuathians were soon in grave danger. They would have no doubt been defeated, if not for the actions of two strange brothers, and the Sídhe allies they brought with them. Once the Formorians were tuned back and Arathar overthrown, there was peace between the men of the east and west. The Sídhe returned to their distant home, and the brothers became kings of the Tuathians.

Meanwhile, another race had been building empires...far below the surface. The peoples there were varied: some had skin of leather, others of scales; some were small and cunning, while others were massive brutes. But all thrived in the Underworld, and all dreamed of glory; and all recalled sadly the tale that long ago, they dwelt in the deepest places of the earth, while now they were banished to what they called the "shallow lands". Empires in the Underworld rose and fell, and the Deeplings went about their lives, oblivious to the troubles of the surface-dwellers. In Deepling society, proving yourself in battle won you much honor, and to many of the Underworld's denizens, honor was more important than life itself; the only problem was, battles were becoming rare. So when the Great Tree Yggdrasil fell, its branches splitting the earth asunder, opening up tunnels to the Overworld, the Deeplings did not hesitate. In the depths, idle armies longed for new enemies; and now, new wars were theirs for the fighting.

Sorry for the wall of text; this actually wasn't something from an old file, I thought it up just now. Though some of the ideas (with the Dark Gods and Yggdrasil, particularly), I had made for a different game idea...but if Ark thought that one post had unoriginal races, then...well, let's just say I came up with most of it playing Heroes of Might and Magic. But, that idea did have some nice, somewhat original ideas to it, such as the nomad mages and a spwarling, industrial city (which could be added another race later on...?)

lol, even apologizing for the wall of text is a wall of text.

But yeah, tell me what you think.