Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Questions about the modding
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 PM

nestharus has a default reputation

Please elaborate the differences between a module and a scenario-

1. can either be downloaded through the game similar to how Warcraft 3 does hosting? The way Warcraft 3 does the downloading allows for easy distribution of maps, which is one reason why Warcraft 3 has lasted so long. Hardly anyone downloads maps outside of the game. Once maps are required to be downloaded outside of the game, the target audience plummets in size.

2. Estimated file size limits for either? For example, Warcraft 3's file size limit is 8 megabytes.

3. Designing a module vs designing a scenario (very light, for example what editors might be used for the module and what editors might be used for the scenario).

Also, being able to have persistent data is pretty big in the modding communities. Blizzard created the entire bank structure to give you an idea of how much modders like to be able to save persistent data. Without that feature, modders have to make save/load codes, strings that are outputted to a player that contain encrypted compressed information that the player then types into another game.

Also, map protection is an even more major deal to modders. Vexorian's Map Protector for Warcraft 3 is used on just about every single decent map created for Warcraft 3. A big concern of modders is map theft and cheating, hence why modders really want map protection. Yes, open knowledge is good, but it leads to those two serious problems =).

For today's modders, they'd decide between Dawn of Fantasy, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2. One of the things that keeps a game like this alive for a very long period of time are modders. By providing better tools, you can ensure a long lifespan of the game.

There are 4 main categories of modders from my experience-
Terrainers
Modelers
Textureres
Coders

There could be composers and voice actors as well, but for a lot of people those two things just aren't worth it.

Of those categories, terrainers, modelers and coders are by far the biggest groups. Furthermore, a lot of modelers and terrainers may not have access to coders, which is why Blizzard has a GUI for scripting. This way a modeler does not have to learn how to program in order to make a quality map =). The majority of maps are created using a GUI. By not providing a GUI, you cut out a very large portion of the modding population. Yes, I'm a coder and never use a GUI, but just about everyone I deal with on 3 major modding sites does use a GUI. Many GUI users also want to be able to use regularly coded systems through a GUI, which is why Blizzard made it possible to, for example, use a Galaxy script through a GUI.

Also, just throwing this out there, but another very popular feature is custom interfaces and floating windows. Custom projectiles (being able to reference those projectiles and what not) as well as being able to reference actual attacks (damage source -> attack, unit) are other very major things. Being able to reference attacks made on a unit as that attack is issued and resolved (including AoE attacks) would be extremely helpful. This was attempted in Warcraft 3 many times, but failed in all cases. I was one of the people who tried to write an Attack Indexer (a way to retrieve and reference attacks).

I mentioned Blizzard a lot because your biggest source of modders will probably be those that are currently modding for Warcraft 3 and or Starcraft 2. Since you already know your audience and know exactly what they want, it is up to you to decide whether you want to provide them with those tools or not =).

Anyways, just things to think about.

Last edited by nestharus : 09-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.