Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Buildings
Thread: Buildings
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
Wait so...you have "pre-built in" designs for all the walls on the map...and at the click of the button they all built around your base? .....

That's incredibly limiting...

Does that mean we cant build walls or structures anywhere else apart from in the "pre-building areas"? That means you can be easily surrounded incredibly quickly. What if you wanted to cut off and create a choke point, you cant send a builder out to go and build a wall there? (after say building friendly structure there)?

You say there are quite a few plots but, does this also apply for forward bases?

It gives me the impression that: "You HAVE to built here or no base for you" "If you dont do this...tough".

Is it some sort of balancing strategy? Because it just sounds soooo restrictive that your forced to built in conjunction with the map...i dont care if i would of had to build individual segments, hell at least it provides a lot more freedom on how you layout your defenses.

I want to be able to freely create "layers" of defenses, sever choke points, establish filtering systems, traps and use the entire area to force the sloth upon my enemy without restriction...having to abide by a built-in structure doesn't appeal to me at all.

Can you not built walls in segments as separate structures? Is it all just a button you click? "Build 135 pre-defined wall segments...will cost 800000 stone" Etc...how much will it cost to build and entire perimeter defense lol?

Unless...

Its a tactical option? You either allow us to built in predefined structures OR allow us to make our own "layouts" or "blueprints" or allow us to built and design as freely as we want.

Other thing that worries me is that this is for Men and Elves, but orcs can built freely wherever they want...but are restricted to just wooden walls?

Something really doesn't sound right...im now dreading on how restrictive play mite be . I think you should either revise what your planning...or convince me that there is still some "freedom" in settings up walls and defense.
Quite a while ago i wanted the same thing TYRANICK, blueprint options atleast, but yes this would make a massive unknown gap in balancing.

But please remember that these are walkible walls not some unwalkible piece of **** from AOE 3 or BFME2. These walls have tons of upgrades all chosen by you to upgrade for a cost. Also there are layers of walls that you must build each costing quite a bit, and even more for upgrades, therefore there are many tactical options for you to choose, but yes, simply having walls stretching across the entire map is, out of the question. Your enemy will have the ability to surround you, and siege you, and pillage your farms unto ruin and you cower into the safety of your walls, coward humans!
Maybe you should join the Orcs.
Oh, and also, the Orcs’ walls are not built anywhere either they are prebuilt in this latest build aswell. But the buildings you can build anywhere to your liking.

We’ve thought about making the walls ‘ free style ‘ but it would simply mess up the balance to much and it wouldn’t look very good. It would lead, for more people, to not even have walls. Like it is in bfme2, just a rush game, no need for walls, ‘the game ends in 5 minutes anyways, why build walls’. Otherwise, having random walls spamed all over the place looks really stupid. and not a very good image I believe.

Goblin Archer: “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahah Stupid humans!”

Having a properly constructed stronghold with several layers of walls with trebuchets boiling oil, archer towers here and there in a nice realistic fasion holding off a massive orc army. Now that’s a image I can see in DOF!

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.