Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Races
Thread: Races
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

One of the problems I have with a lot of fantasy (novels, movies, games, you name it) is this "epicitis" syndrome that seems to permeate everything. Right now, DoF is avoiding this quite nicely (one of the reasons I like it so much) and I certainly don't want to see it go the other way.

Games like WoW and D&D have made the unbelievable outrageous so distinctive to the fantasy genre that people just presume that that's the way it is. There are fantasy settings where races of winged bird-people is a ludicrous notion, and demons are rare and powerful things that you're unlikely to ever encounter. I find steam punk particularly obnoxious.

I think dwarves are good, and undead at a stretch is also fine. Demons is just way out there. I think that by making demons common-place, Warcraft butchered its universe and story. These are the kind of things that should be seen as the ultimate, rarely if ever seen power, not a whole faction. Beyond my complaints with aerial races, aquatic races have serious balance issues in that they are either severely overpowered on water maps, or severely underpowered on landlocked maps, and there's no in between. After all, how can a race whose very defining feature is an advantage on water be balanced for both scenarios? Finally, steam punk has no place in a feudal setting. I think there are really cool steam punk fantasy settings, but you can't go mixing it with a feudal European fantasy.