Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - wheres all the hype ! ?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Sarkata has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoOpin View Post
I dunno Trion did it great they had some really good marketing.

They was doing 100 keys user giveaways with almost any MMO Site you could think of. Everyone wanted to try it or play it. Everyone was talking about it trying to get keys best as possible. Soon as a sites forums started to talk less about the game they would release 100 more keys.
http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Trion_Worlds Might give you a clue that they have more funding than Reverie or 505. More funding equals more hype.

Though I don't know it to be the actual case, if TWN did use the strategy you mentioned to keep their forums alive, I would be less inclined to participate in their community. Less action on the forums, so you stir the pot with keys? How about stirring the pot with development ideas, in game/out of game events, you know, some ACTUAL CONTENT.

Quote:
They then gave away keys that gave people a chance to get into beta. You could not go to a single MMO site hearing about it because of the Hype. Now look at them it worked for them if they had not of done this method of marketing I bet you they would not have 1/3rd of subs they have now.
Having your community blow up to several tens of thousand or even hundreds of thousands of users is great, assuming your product is already polished, or very nearly spot on. Oh, and that your customer and technical support can handle that kind of load. And don't forget about them hamsters. Someone has to feed them too! It doesn't help to bring a ton of people in to see that your game is still in need of a few more months of work, your servers are outdated, or that it takes 3 weeks to get a CS ticket response. Most won't be sympathetic and will sign it off as "sub-par crap" and never come back again. Fyi, I played in the Rift beta, and 95% of things worked, and I even managed to get a response to a ticket that I submitted. During a beta! You're also talking about somewhere in the range of 5-10 times the amount of content in Rift as there is in DoF, another indicator of financial and support capability.

Quote:
They then gave away keys that gave people a chance to get into beta.
I'm not sure I even get this...why would I want a key that only gives me a chance of participating? Again, this sounds gimmicky.

Quote:
Best marketing method is hype up the community get everyone talking about it and wanting to play it. You have a great game and a great concept but I only found out about this game on the off chance anyone I mentioned it to has no idea what DoF is. But the way they marketed RIFT everyone had heard of it way before beta with all the keys being handed out giving people a chance of beta testing.
When did the education system ditch the book, The Tortoise and the Hare? Please read it.

Quote:
It is never just about the game it is all about the selling the game
Really? I think I just threw up a little. Please become a sleazy car salesman.

Quote:
Sadly community hype and getting people talking about a game on every forum out there will get you far more users than a few adds here and there and a box in a shop it is just how the gaming community works now.

Sadly, though your post came off very authoritative, you probably don't have any professional experience in the game industry.

Build a game for people to play, and the money will come. Build a game for money, and the players will leave.