Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing Diffrential advantage?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
Firstly, I don't know how you're assuming the microtransactions will kill the game's balance the instant you read they exist. What I'm saying is - don't judge a book by its' cover. The influence points, like Akyko said, will only help you in ways that won't tip the scales between you and other players. Like in many other games, its' designed for those who might not have as much time to play the game, and it'll work just fine.

How do we know this? Well if you haven't noticed, a lot of games have been going free to play, including some big titles like Lord of the Rings Online. It has been proven that F2P brings significantly more profit to the developers than a subscription model.
Of course LOTRO had to go through some significant changes which might not have favored some people, in the end they gained players and those who continued to pay a monthly fee received a lot of their previously acclaimed bonuses.
Likewise in DoF - everyone plays equally, and the shop stuff just helps boost you a little bit if you've not had time to play or want to catch up to your friends etc. LOTRO is probably not the greatest example though as there is quite a gap between base free players and those who pay the full price; DoF is unlikely to have anything even close to that.

So, in short, it won't be as damaging as you assume - and it is definitely the best way to go as proven by recent trends in the gaming industry.
Couldn't have really said it better myself.

But to add to it, it also includes more downloadable content such as special quests or even entire expansion packs or campaigns, maybe some co-op humans vs AI campaign that we will create after the game is released, keep a steady flow of new content that everone can purcahse with Wealth, not real money (so everyone can unlock the content but it takes a massive amount of time to gain that much wealth or just buy it with real money instantly).

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.