Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Learning from past game Mistakes.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Quote:
One of the key breaking points of this game for me was probably the Map sizes, as well as the room you have to build.

You're area became so over clumped together than it becomes a huge mess

DOF needs to a have a decent enough area that you arent overwhelmed by there being no space at all on your screen. Although everything is predefined building wise so we should be good.
I think all the maps provide plenty of room for both the attacker(s) and the defender(s). Elves and Men build on plots, so no problems there. The orc walls are preset but enclose a vast piece of land which should be adequate. If you find yourself needing more room still, you can build your additional huts and non-military buildings outside the walls.

Quote:
Stronghold had another problem. Catapults and Trebuchets. YOu could litterly build a trebuchet and sit back and knock down the entire enemy castle and have no consequence.

The problem here was building a castle or walls and the walls having no effect or lasting impression in the terrain when destroyed I.E: They disappeared.

DOF need's to have a better way of countering users just sitting there with 20 catapults, what stops them from just sitting there destroying your walls. Aware you can build Catapults on the wall.. but 1 or 2 catapults isnt going to stop 20 of theirs.

(People take in mind usually when you siege you have a superior force rushing out with cav isnt going to be the best idea).
I'd say it's more of a problem with the player than the game if they don't do something about the line of catapults sitting back and attacking. But the defenders have the range advantage given their height on the walls so you can counter them with mounted catapults and maybe some upgraded archers might be able to take them out as well.

Quote:
Unit overlapping is another problem in many games, how many times in stronghold did units overlap and you not realize "OH **** THOSE ARENT PEASANTS THERES KNIGHTS UNDERNEATH THEM".

There seems to be a HUGE HUGE unit overlapping in DOF, how do you know what to practically attack when you cant see the enemy forces squad count properly? (Small idea, add banners to equip squad).
I think you're referring more to some of our older screenshots. We are aware of this problem and a lot of the clipping has already been fixed, and we will work on fixing the rest of it before release, so no worries here.

Quote:
Overly ridiculous powers and creatures. Once again in stronghold, when they took the step to Legends it completely killed the entire game for me. Magic ruined so much fun and was so OP in the beginning and stupid.

Not only that mythical creatures and stuff. Now the only thing i can see being a problem here is dragons. How can dragons properly be balanced in sieges. Too weak they are useless and not worth the cost to hire, too overpowered and they'll bring down a entire wall section in a second.
None of our heroes are too overpowered. And our magic spells are relatively weak, they can give you the upper hand in a fairly balanced battle, but they will not save you if you're outnumbered.

Dragons won't be a factor until later on in the game when you have a large size army and defenses to counter them. Dragons aren't implemented yet, so I can't comment, but they won't be overly strong. Just make sure you have some archers to counter them. You also have just as much access to dragons as your enemy so you can bring in an ice dragon to take out a fire dragon or whatever. But like the spells, dragons won't be able to significantly alter the tides of war.

Quote:
The major flaw in stronghold was the sieges itself,

Anyone ever play stronghold and notice how getting sieged never felt like a siege, it always felt like one catapult knocking down a wall or a mass ladder attach to one wall and the HUGE UNIT clumping just going up one side.

Right now im seeing pure one wall pushes, none of this huge battle all across the castle. I know unit clumping his hard to work a work around for, but if you have units overlap it's going to cause minor tactical problems.

Anyways, thats my feedback, suggestions. Feel free to discuss your feelings on certain flaws you see and what not.
It's kind of hard to get a sense of the scale of the whole battle with a screenshot, but if you don't shoot down the siege towers in time, they're going to attach to several wall segments. On Facebook, there's a screenshot of five Treants attaching to a poorly-protected wall while archers and bolt throwers are firing in the distance, setting the city on fire. There are other screenshots where the defender is facing a two-front war and must switch back and forth between the two fronts (unless they team up as one huge army).