Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Learning from past game Mistakes.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

BfME1 is the game I'll use in most of my examples

Quote:
DOF needs to a have a decent enough area that you arent overwhelmed by there being no space at all on your screen. Although everything is predefined building wise so we should be good.
So far, it seems as if DoF has some pretty large environments to play in, as well as the fact that many buildings are pre-defined. BfME1 achieved this quite well, IMO.

Quote:
The problem here was building a castle or walls and the walls having no effect or lasting impression in the terrain when destroyed I.E: They disappeared.

DOF need's to have a better way of countering users just sitting there with 20 catapults, what stops them from just sitting there destroying your walls. Aware you can build Catapults on the wall.. but 1 or 2 catapults isnt going to stop 20 of theirs.

(People take in mind usually when you siege you have a superior force rushing out with cav isnt going to be the best idea).
This has always been a concern to me, although as stated, structures will likely be stronger and siege weapons rarer. I think there are realistic accuracies, too.
Anyway, that really bugged me in BfME1. The defender should have the tactical advantage, not vice-versa . Walls were just useless, and siege towers, possibly one of the most fun units in the game, never got used.

Quote:
There seems to be a HUGE HUGE unit overlapping in DOF, how do you know what to practically attack when you cant see the enemy forces squad count properly? (Small idea, add banners to equip squad).
From the screenshots I've seen, overlapping isn't too bad. It isn't a major thing for me, but seeing 10-20 orcs all coming up a siege ladder AT ONCE really fast was a bit of a bugger for me.

Quote:
Not only that mythical creatures and stuff. Now the only thing i can see being a problem here is dragons. How can dragons properly be balanced in sieges. Too weak they are useless and not worth the cost to hire, too overpowered and they'll bring down a entire wall section in a second.

One thing that is going to need a severe balance.
Hmm, I'm curious as to this as well, seeing as magic is probably going to be rather powerful in this game as well. BfME1 handled this REALLY badly IMO. One word: Balrog. 'Nuff said

Quote:
Anyone ever play stronghold and notice how getting sieged never felt like a siege, it always felt like one catapult knocking down a wall or a mass ladder attach to one wall and the HUGE UNIT clumping just going up one side.

Right now im seeing pure one wall pushes, none of this huge battle all across the castle. I know unit clumping his hard to work a work around for, but if you have units overlap it's going to cause minor tactical problems.
Another valid point of concern. I await the dev's response also.