Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - Fantasy Friday XXIII - Unique Formations Part I
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari View Post
Itīs probably just me, but the orcish formations seem to have no disadvantages, except for a faster fatigue drain.
Preliminary testing indicates they're a little on the weak side because of that fatigue drain. In prolonged combat, mainly sieges, they're at a pretty big overall disadvantage. In open field battles they're pretty deadly, but what's stopping your opponent from simply retreating if you decide to advance using those special formations.

It's far more complex than it looks at first glance the balancing act that the orcs and elves undergo. Men are kept simpler, and more versatile but they don't get quite the power boost that elves and orcs get. While elves need to plan their stances ahead of time through proper scouting and require exceptional planning and timing to change stances in combat without wasting the battalion. And orcs of course are the hardest yet to fully utilize, you need to move into the proper formation for the task at hand, and then manage that fatigue. As alex pointed out - formation fatigue drain also means you can't use your other powerful abilities as often, if at all. This won't be as much of an issue with leveled battalions however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Mechanical question:

How long does it take to assemble into formation? Are there any penalties while you are changing formations?
Right now things are in flux and subject to change, but you might be seeing a short weakened period with switching, or a fatigue cost on top of the minimum required amount. I know off the top of my head right now the elves have a few seconds after exiting their meditation before the bonuses apply. Would have to check the other races.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 04-24-2010 at 02:24 PM.