View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
@Otomotopia:

Have you played the various Stronghold games online? One of two things happens depending on which stronghold you play. Either walls are completely worthless, or they're brokenly overpowered. There is simply no way to balance letting everyone design their own walls. We hope to have plenty of different ones to let you choose from, and even that will lead to some builds being stronger than others. It just has to be this way for balance unless you want walls to go the way of AoE2 where sure you can build a nice looking city but it isn't worth a tenth of the money you sunk into it. And with siege warfare being one of the biggest and best things about the game, reducing walls to little more than a hurdle low enough you can step over wouldn't be good.

The various customizable wall defenses are unique enough to make cities feel like your own as well, imo. With so many options and three distinct terrain's per race to choose from.
Hehe, why, yes, I have played the game Stronghold online. In fact, i'm currently a part of the internal testing of the current Stronghold MMO (). This is why I also suggested a fix for those who are 'underpowered'-having templates like you just described, along with a 'freebuild' option. The best of the user-created setups can even be added to these 'templates' to update the competition. If you find your setup is 'underpowered,' you always can gather up to the point where you can build a template city.

And, if boundaries and length limits are put in place to contain the defender from over-extending his defences and rules are put in place to make the attacker still able to reach the keep with minimal building obstruction (aka 'house walls'), suddently it becomes much more balanced for the attacker.