Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Reverie World Studios Forums - View Single Post - No undead race please
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
You can dislike zombies for whatever reasons you'd like to, that is your choice. Personally I've never liked the concept of the undead for various reasons, though that has more to do with the concept of undeath allowing an unstoppable army in the literal sense. But your argument is more bias and essentially zombies are bad because they're popular than anything else.

You also need to keep in mind the undead - zombies and skeletons in particular are also a staple to those of us who enjoy pen and paper RPGs. Almost every D&D character has gone through a zombie and skeleton infested graveyard/crypt at one point or another. Sure, a horde of the undead taking over the world scenario is outrageous can get rid of the suspension of disbelief - but I don't think the undead, either zombies or skeletons in and of themselves can kill the suspension of disbelief. A contained incident of uncontrolled magic ressurecting everything in a graveyard for example in the context of D&D was cool and interesting, zombies taking over the world in an apocalypse scenario maybe not so much, but most incarnations of zombies in high fantasy are NOT the cheap thiller movie zombie, they're a type of necromancy and used to create a more traditional army. Not to take over the world with a disease or virus. A big difference between high fantasy zombies and modern film zombies is simple - a zombie biting you means you almost always turn into one yourself very rapidly, or if you die you'll come back as one. In high fantasy however it requires either an item of considerable power, or necromancy in the form of spells/runes and what not. Being bitten only means that part of your flesh has been gnawed at, not that you're doomed to be a zombie. And indeed, the everything dead within an area/or anyone bitten will automatically become a zombie is a silly scenario, the way high fantasy does it for the most part is far more palatable and doesn't ruin the suspension of disbelief, at least not for most of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
To me, zombies in fantasy like this seem more of a supporting "Character" like how the dragons are (right now atleast). The zombies can be summoned with magic to help as a "mercenary" if you will. If they were made as a faction, something/someone non-zombie would have to control them. Like in "dragon age" lore the darkspawn are unified, but only because of the archdemon other wise they are disorganized, attacking everything including themselves.
you both have great points, it actually has changed my perspective of zombies in fantasy a little.
in my experience with zombies in games that have a slight fantasy like setting, there always like what josh said, not end of the world virus that infects all life instantly when exposed, but more magical like being summoned by a wizard or something.
but what with u have krabs said, you could get away with zombies in DOF, but ONLY ( in my opinion ) if you make it so that your wizards could raise fallen comrads to fight again. make it so the zombies are like bloody and tattered in there uniform, and no matter what unit they were before, make them all close range melee units. this would be an extremely powerful spell in my opinion. like before every battle i would enchant my soldiers to where if they died in battle they would raise again as undead soldiers. this is the only way to mix in zombies with DOF and have it all make sense
btw i still think zombies dont belong very well in fantasy, but i will make exceptions in some cases