Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mounting (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87)

The Witch King of Angmar 08-17-2007 10:44 AM

Mounting

Hey guys a while back I heard Ryan saying that any unit that was on foot could mount for I think all of the factions. Would this be true with orcs or dragons? And could someone please shed a little more light on the whole concept? I was just really interested in this and wanted to know a little more about it.

Thanks

Sharku 08-18-2007 09:49 AM

Well first you make the mount then you order a unit to get on it and walla you got yourself some calvary. I'm sure the larger units like Ogres and Dragons won't be able to mount, but regular infantry and ranged units will be able to mount. So far we know Humans will mount Horses, Elves will mount Unicorns, and Orcs will mount Wolf-Beasts. In a SS with a Dragon there were Human Lancers lined up under it so i will assume Dragons will have infantry that can mount Horses. I don't know if this extends to Drakes though because we don't know how big they are.

Ryan Zelazny 08-18-2007 11:15 AM

Sharku has answered it as well as I probably could of. We haven't decided if Drakes will have a mount or not. Orcs do have wolf-beast mounts, however large units like Ogres will not be able to mount them.

jap88 08-18-2007 12:10 PM

It would be funny to see a dragon-man riding something :p

Ndition 08-18-2007 01:19 PM

It would be more fun to see an Ogre mount a wolf, that would be like Shrek mount the donkey :P

The Witch King of Angmar 08-18-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jap88 (Post 1219)
It would be funny to see a dragon-man riding something :p

I think a drake should ride like a bear or like a lion or something. Or a giant wolf. That would be awesome.

Konstantin Fomenko 08-20-2007 01:52 PM

To add to the topic:

-Mounts can be captured. For example, human swordsman on foot, by some miracle managed to kill Elven ranged on a unicorn. Unicorn is now his, if there are no other elfs around.
-Mounts can be shared between races (mounts act very much like sheep in Age of Empires III – it`s possible to capture them.) Some races will have better/cheaper mounts, so on some level it would make sense for Orcish player to train alot of wolf-beasts (the toughest mount in-game) and send them to his human allies to mount some of his elite Knights. Creating the toughest mounting cavalry in-game.

The Witch King of Angmar 08-20-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 1309)
To add to the topic:

-Mounts can be captured. For example, human swordsman on foot, by some miracle managed to kill Elven ranged on a unicorn. Unicorn is now his, if there are no other elfs around.
-Mounts can be shared between races (mounts act very much like sheep in Age of Empires III it`s possible to capture them.) Some races will have better/cheaper mounts, so on some level it would make sense for Orcish player to train alot of wolf-beasts (the toughest mount in-game) and send them to his human allies to mount some of his elite Knights. Creating the toughest mounting cavalry in-game.

Woah now that is cool.

kingtom256 08-20-2007 03:57 PM

aw, this sounds very interesting. increasing variable tactics. And, could be very fun and imaginative

Darvin 08-20-2007 08:20 PM

I think that taking another race's mounts should be about opportunism are versitility, not about "tweaking" for the best unit. A knight should be best when mounted on a horse, because it's his native mount type. He might receive some unique bonus on a wolf that would make him play differently, and make it worthwhile to try something new, but it would come at a tradeoff. For the best overall balance, I think that the default racial mount should be the one to go with. It will keep strategies open, but won't lead to "oh, my team doesn't have an orc so our cavalry is going to be at a disadvantage" situations.