Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Modding...for MMORPG mode (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800)

LiTos456 08-23-2009 07:40 AM

Modding...for MMORPG mode

Is it possible to mod for the mmorpg mode, but only mods that don't actually affect others? For example something you see, like, I dont know better textures or more blood or something else visually but not actually affecting the gameplay. So only that person who has the mod sees it, is that possible?

Darathor 08-23-2009 12:20 PM

What is this MMORPG mode? I know nothing of this mode that you speak of.:D
Just kidding, I know what you mean.
But a mod that would let you change how you(and only you) see the game would be cool. It would let you set a bunch of colors for different things like you, your enemies, and your allies.

szebus 08-23-2009 12:22 PM

And if you don't like the look of you're soldiers or some buildings, then you can just change it and still play the game in mmo mode :D .

Darvin 08-23-2009 02:35 PM

The best system I've seen so far in this regard is a mod checksum. Graphics and other aspects that do not affect the actual mechanics of the game are excluded from the checksum, and therefor having a mod that only affects these things wouldn't prevent you from being compatable with non-modded players.

Andy Joslin 08-23-2009 07:06 PM

I'm not quite sure how much we'll support 'local' mods in multiplayer. If we do I guess it'd be through something like Darvin described.

Aametherar 08-24-2009 03:26 PM

Hmm as long as theres some prevention for things like making trees transparent for a tactical advantage and shady little things like that.

szebus 08-24-2009 11:45 PM

Guess that DoF will have some "design mods" buyable by microtransaction.

Ryan Zelazny 08-25-2009 07:56 AM

The only problem I see with this is that allowing modding for MMO opens the door for cheating. It can something as simple as changing the models from being textured units to flat bright yellow or green to increase the visibility of them for the player, to modifying the fog of war texture to be clear. The thing is we could keep patching the checksum to include these as we find them, but we wouldn't be able to find all of them, or they might wreak a lot of havok within the community before we can diagnose the issue.

Aametherar 08-25-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny (Post 17260)
The only problem I see with this is that allowing modding for MMO opens the door for cheating. It can something as simple as changing the models from being textured units to flat bright yellow or green to increase the visibility of them for the player, to modifying the fog of war texture to be clear. The thing is we could keep patching the checksum to include these as we find them, but we wouldn't be able to find all of them, or they might wreak a lot of havok within the community before we can diagnose the issue.

I agree, and this is part of the reason I am very against allowing MMO modifications.

Konstantin Fomenko 08-25-2009 10:51 AM

When to comes to MMO we have to put security over customization. So players won`t be able to mode anything in MMO mode.
We might add a feature to make custom hero and units - but these mods would need to be submitted to a team of reviewers and added with following patches. We might consider creating a team to review user created content for MMO and adding it for everyone to enjoy...we`ll see if this happens.

However, players will be able to install and completely mod a second copy of Dawn of Fantasy not used for MMO or multilayer gameplay.