Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Emotions and Critical Strikes (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750)

Darathor 07-19-2009 06:46 PM

Emotions and Critical Strikes

On the features page, it says that emotions will be in-game, but how will they be implemented. It said on the page units have fear, does that mean they cower and slowly back away like in bfme2? But as for cheering, it makes the game feel more realistic and cool, though when will your units cheer? And what bonuses will they get exactly?
I hope the fear one doesn't make your units cower and do nothing like in bfme2, it was really aggravating and annoying.
Also, will critical strikes be in-game? If so, what units will have it and how much of a chance will it be to get a critical strike?

Joseph Visscher 07-19-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darathor (Post 16296)
On the features page, it says that emotions will be in-game, but how will they be implemented. It said on the page units have fear, does that mean they cower and slowly back away like in bfme2? But as for cheering, it makes the game feel more realistic and cool, though when will your units cheer? And what bonuses will they get exactly?
I hope the fear one doesn't make your units cower and do nothing like in bfme2, it was really aggravating and annoying.
Also, will critical strikes be in-game? If so, what units will have it and how much of a chance will it be to get a critical strike?

Units cheer when they defeat the enemy in a battle., currently units do not cower or become fearful, they'll just fight to the death, this may change though.

Our combat system is quite advanced, basically there is 4 main combat attributes: Hit Rating, Damage, Defense Rating, and Armor.

Hit Rating are the odds of making a successful attack,
Defense Rating is the opposite and counter of Hit Rating by lowering the odds of the attacker.
Damage is the damaged caused on a successful attack. There are multiple types of damages from slashing, crushing from calvary trampling and ogre clubbing, simple fire damage from fire arrows or even magic damages from spells of various elements.
Armor is the opposite and counter of Damage depending on the type.

[unconfirmed] There may also be damage absorption stats where unit's armor type can actually cause more damage rather reduce. Such as ice or fire damage on steal armor.

Darathor 07-20-2009 07:34 AM

Ah, ok. I'm glad that they cheer, it adds some realism to the game as well as making the game more unique and having "flavor." It sounds nice that if you slaughter your enemy that your troops celebrate your awesomeness and skill at strategy and tactics.:D

nickson104 07-20-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darathor (Post 16303)
Ah, ok. I'm glad that they cheer, it adds some realism to the game as well as making the game more unique and having "flavor." It sounds nice that if you slaughter your enemy that your troops celebrate your awesomeness and skill at strategy and tactics.:D

One of my favourite things about Mount And Blade... Fending off waves of enemies breaching the castle walls... then as your blade cuts down the last enemy a cheer goes up from your remaining troops.... its just awesome... XD :p

zach12wqasxz 07-20-2009 10:30 AM

i think you have a morale system like in total war, where if your getting owned then your troops run for there lives(but then usually get slaughtered). but if your fighting near your city then i think they should run to the city and hide behind the walls. you should also have a like town square type deal where all your remaining men from a lost seige can make there "last stand" and give them fighting bonuses and stuff. in the total war series when the enemy is in the town square its ten times harder to kill them, you should make it like that in the game

Puppeteer 07-20-2009 02:08 PM

I'm not sure if I like the whole morale system. Fleeing would become irritatingly annoying. I'm their commander, not their adviser. My orders are not optional.

Aametherar 07-20-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 16310)
I'm not sure if I like the whole morale system. Fleeing would become irritatingly annoying. I'm their commander, not their adviser. My orders are not optional.

I agree, perhaps we should be able to chose leader style, democracy emperor, god, etc. for diff bonuses on various things including morale, as well as actions taken on retreating troops giving you reputation for diff stuff...like killing those who retreat. Sacrifices to instill terror, etc.

szebus 07-20-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 16310)

Hmmm... You may be their commander and not their advisor, but still they have fear, at least humans and I don't think cheap units would give a sh*t about you're social status.

Maybe some units what have a higher social status as higher LVL'd units, would fight until death or retreat order, but this is for humans.

Aametherar 07-20-2009 03:00 PM

That is true I don't think i've ever seen an orc run from the battlefield, elf perhaps, but not orc. Elves seem to be good at running and hiding.

Kire 07-20-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aametherar (Post 16312)
I agree, perhaps we should be able to chose leader style, democracy emperor, god, etc. for diff bonuses on various things

Yes this would be very very lovely =), i also liked it at empire earth (it was far far away so i could mixed a game name =P). This would surly add some fun factor to game and gaining like titles -Kire the emperor or God Kire or King Kire ....- =P. But dont know how would democracy work... Asking parliament or people if you can attack player or to gain some money or create units ?=P
It would be also nice for role playing factor.. if one soldier is brave in combat and you like him you, as king, would give him title, but would not change stats.