Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Q/Thoughts on the MMORTS - Why Bother? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700)

Park 06-23-2009 09:55 AM

Q/Thoughts on the MMORTS - Why Bother?

Reading about the MMORTS mode of having a fortress and taking land from others, I have to say this sounds exactly like the old AOK Massacre map which were extremely fun though little replay value.

I'm curious are "addiction" factors for people to want to play the MMORTS mode constantly or is it more like a persistent RTS multiplayer like EE2 had to a certain extent?

In a normal MMORPG, you can choose to engage in battle or stick around the safe areas engaging in small talk, trade, or whatever. Would DoF MMORTS be constant warfare? What about quests for people to play together to defeat a computer city? Or players sending hero units to battle each other in a tournament?

Darathor 06-23-2009 11:05 AM

It don't think it would be constant warfare unless you chose to fight every battle and constantly attack other people, you can choose not to fight a battle like when they are attacking your city, you can choose to just pay tribute instead of fighting.
They said that there will be many quests in mmorts mode that you can do that i would imagine include attacking a computer city occasionally (i know at least that there will be computer cities).
Since it is a mmorts, you could organize things such as a hero tournament and various other things.

Kell Aset 06-24-2009 11:44 AM

Great thing about this game is that no one can be attacked while being offline, and that that our cities and army (or what's left of them heh) are there when we log in again.
About replay value, well everything gets repetitive after some time, but
we have here few castle designs for one race, different regions will have differently looking castles so attack/defense strategy will be a bit different too. Also they say there will be really a lot of quests etc. so no worries it will be surely interesting.

nickson104 06-24-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Aset (Post 15235)
so no worries it will be surely interesting.

You cannot possibly say that until we actually played the game >.> many games seem that they will definitely be good then turn out the opposite...

Kell Aset 06-24-2009 12:22 PM

That is of course also true what You say but it is my opinion and observation that Reverie team seems to care for their game quite a lot and its hmn well let's say "awsomness" so why so negative? that is usually my thing heh.

nickson104 06-24-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Aset (Post 15237)
That is of course also true what You say but it is my opinion and observation that Reverie team seems to care for their game quite a lot and its hmn well let's say "awsomness" so why so negative? that is usually my thing heh.

I personally agree with you but you have to see both sides of the arguement :) :p You have to also realise that also people are often blinded by pride and do not see fault in their work (not saying Reverie do) and also we havent seen much gameplay yet? Most of the screenshots we have seen have been developed specially for the screenshot, usually in the editor or cinematics as I remember?

Either way I personally agree with you, I think Reverie are doing a fine job and the game should be real good :) And if it isnt... We have the Beta stage to tell them what is wrong XD :p

Aametherar 06-24-2009 12:51 PM

With the levels of customization they're talking about, at the very least there can be custom user campaigns as well as maps, so on both those aspects the entire game can actually be remade by the community, so really we can end up with anything there with a great community. As for the MMO mode, I have a lot of confidence in it, and the devs dedication to making it better through any issues the players decide to address. So maybe it won't come out perfect, but with devs willing to try and a dedicated community there's no reason it can't come close one day. Starcraft wasn't as balanced as it is now when it came out thats for sure, heck it's still mathematically imbalanced towards the zerg if you use them right.

Point is, no games perfect, but it doesn't mean a game cant grow or strive to be better. So as for replayability, as long as there's a strong community and good devs there's always room for the game to grow, become more, and stay replayable for years to come.

Konstantin Fomenko 06-24-2009 02:25 PM

Park, great to see you on our forums old friend!

Quote:

Point is, no games perfect, but it doesn't mean a game cant grow or strive to be better.
We are committed to continue working on new MMORTS content for at least 6 months after DoF ships - new quests, mmorts features, unit packs, new regions e.t.c. Some of these updates will be "sold" through micro-transactions like, unit/building packs, the rest will be free.

Quote:

Would DoF MMORTS be constant warfare? What about quests for people to play together to defeat a computer city? Or players sending hero units to battle each other in a tournament?
All of the above and more:) I think there are a few posts on this forum that go over all the things u can do in MMO mode.

Kire 06-24-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 15240)
Park, great to see you on our forums old friend!

We are committed to continue working on new MMORTS content for at least 6 months after DoF ships - new quests, mmorts features, unit packs, new regions e.t.c. Some of these updates will be "sold" through micro-transactions like, unit/building packs, the rest will be free.

All of the above and more:) I think there are a few posts on this forum that go over all the things u can do in MMO mode.

if i understood right, i will have to pay for new quests or new maps if you will make them? What belongs to ”mmorts features" or ”unit packs” and at new regions you get also new types of castels ?
Please explain =).

Kell Aset 06-24-2009 03:28 PM

You have to pay if You want all those things right away when released, after some time all that new additional bonus stuff (or most of it) will become free, at least it was explained more or less like that once.