Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First Impressions & Requests (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6888)

Andarne 04-06-2013 12:09 PM

First Impressions & Requests

Hey there, Devs!

This here is the updated list of fixes, plus my personal opinions on the current DoF product. I've been playing it for a few days and a couple of hours now, as well as with a friend.

Please keep in mind that I fully understand that this game is worked on by a small dev team, and thus we can't expect a masterpiece straight off the shelf, but with a little hope, you'll take my suggestions onboard and we can see them in the future.

Gameplay
First off on this list is gameplay tweaks and fixes.

View Controls
  • First-person viewpoint for Heroes.
  • Building Interiors
  • Camera Tooltips

Hero Customization
  • Appearance
  • Name
  • Biography
  • Voice
  • Weaponry

Click-and-drag Formations
Animations
Animations are a key component in a game like this, especially if you can zoom into a closer view with your units. They, most importantly, let us know that our units are alive. Besides that, they give them character and are pleasing to watch.

Clipping
  • Units avoid each-other
  • Array of animations per-task
  • Animation pathing (no clockwork 'snap to')
  • Hero-proximity animations (salute)
  • Arrows persist in-world

Textures
I completely understand the need for units to have limited quality on an RTS; in Battle for Middle-earth, and it's successor, even high-end PC's would begin to lose FPS when too many units were present. That said, the Medieval series has managed to include both high-resolution terrain/objects, as well as units, in a lag-free environment.
  • Updated textures per-unit
  • Low, Medium, High resolution textures
  • 3D portrait revamp

Sounds
The vanilla sounds that came with DoF have amazed me to no end; there are some slight 'imperfections', but I can't really pick away at them without giving insult to the fine folks that made the game.
  • Menu sounds
  • Per-squad voices
  • Tooltip vocalization
  • Quest vocalization
  • Footsteps/marching
  • Additional sound options

Brian Shingles 04-06-2013 03:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some of these things would take some time - like unit animations - but other simpler ideas - like button click sounds - should make it into the game in the near future.

As time goes on, we hope to add more and more improvements, and we'll use suggestions like these as a guide to where we should focus our efforts.

Andarne 04-08-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Shingles (Post 77176)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Some of these things would take some time - like unit animations - but other simpler ideas - like button click sounds - should make it into the game in the near future.

As time goes on, we hope to add more and more improvements, and we'll use suggestions like these as a guide to where we should focus our efforts.

Hey there, Brian! Thanks for the super-quick reply. Loving the amount of response that we're getting from the team; really shows you care for your community!

Furthermore, I'm glad to see that you've taken them aboard. I'll be updating this thread with some more ideas as I play the game myself, and with friends.

firefoot87 04-11-2013 09:12 AM

Hero Proximity Animations. HAHAHA I LOVE IT!! That would be awesome! Lot of great ideas there.