Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Support (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   DoFUpdater.exe error - unable to input cd-key (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6476)

Lord Lurk 02-13-2013 12:50 AM

DoFUpdater.exe error - unable to input cd-key

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: I originally posted this in the stickied thread about crashing issues etc, its been a few days now and I have had no response in that thread, so I am making my own in the attempt to get it seen by more eyes. Thank you.

Instructions given for a similar issue, closest thing I found to what I am experiencing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 73414)
Hello,

Some things you can try.

1) make sure you restart the computer - if you haven`t this could cause that.

2) Disable Anti Virus and Firewall - and if that works set DofUpdater.exe as exception

3) When you start the updater, try to right click - and Start as Administrator (or Run as Administrator)

4) Try installing C runtime libraries. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555

5) Try getting the latest .Net Framework (free download, just google it)

6) To confirm you already tried using the latest client located here? http://dofgame.com/download/DoFInstaller.exe

7) Lets try uninstall one more time, but this time also removing temp updater files:

a.) Go to your user directory (C:\Users\Your User Name Here) with 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' enabled (see here for details), the folder AppData should appear.
b.) Navigate from your user directory to AppData, and then to Local. For more instruction, see:c.) There should be a folder named DoFUpdater there, delete it.

Hello, I just recently bought the game through Desura, about a few days ago, and have been trying to get it to run properly but I keep having the same issue every time.

I had no issues downloading the game through the Desura client or the main website, as far as I can tell no errors were given during the installation and Desura is reading that the game is "Ready" and fully verified.

I followed the 7 steps that Fomenko has posted here about 10-15 times now :( , through the client installer on the main website as well as Desura, as well as a few other things, with every attempt ending in the same result. The DoFUpdater runs through the initial startup process and prompts me for my CD-Key, once I enter the key and hit confirm, the client instantly crashes and prompts me with this error log:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: dofupdater.exe
Problem Signature 02: 2.1.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4eb83f0c
Problem Signature 04: System.Management
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1e140
Problem Signature 07: 24e
Problem Signature 08: 10f
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 67ff
Additional Information 2: 67ffa67043b6292084abf523d5939cf5
Additional Information 3: da7d
Additional Information 4: da7d63fc8ab107e5ecb61744f2576748

I recently tried installing the game with the main client installer from the website on my wifes computer, and it worked perfectly fine, with the exception of the mouse cursor graphic not moving with the mouse(I think its a resolution issue, I set her up with a 32" TV as a monitor so she can lay in bed while playing Sims 3), so I am banging my head against the wall here trying to figure out what exactly is my problem. I am almost to the point of either giving up on getting the game to run, or formatting my entire hardrive to give myself a fresh instal and attempt at getting the game to run again.

I have tried searching through the forums but have not found anything yet that has helped my problem, I'm posting this here finally as my attempts in solving this issue so far by myself have been unpromising.

I see that sometimes the uh, updater-log file is asked for, so I am attaching it here just to cover my bases. If any other information is needed, please let me know and I will gladly update the post to include it.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated, I am very curious about DoF and would like to see if all the hype I have seen for this game lives up to my expectations.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD 4-core - 2.4 Ghz

GFX: Nvidia Gforce GTS 450

RAM: 8 GB

HHD: 250 GB

And yes, every driver I can possibly update has been updated; sound card, graphics card, motherboard, cpu, bios, ram, hard-drive, network, runtime libraries, etc, etc, etc...

Brian Shingles 02-13-2013 05:00 AM

Apologies for your problem being overlooked.

Kon might be able to offer a better answer when he comes online, but I think this could possibly be a .NET Framework issue as the updater relies on .NET Framework 4 and looking up that specific error, it is often associated with .NET problems.

Anyway, please try installing .NET Framework 4, restarting your computer then re-running the updater.

If this does not work, let us know and we will try to find a better solution for you.

Lord Lurk 02-13-2013 07:47 AM

Well before when I tried to install the .NET Framework 4, it would just say that its already up to date and end the installation.

So, I tried installing it yet again, got the same thing. Decided to just uninstall the Framework 4 and the Framework 4 Extended files and reinstall just Framework 4, reboot, and ran the DoFUpdater.exe again, same issue still.

Thanks for trying though.

Konstantin Fomenko 02-13-2013 09:46 AM

Lord Lurk,

I`ll be honest this is one of the issues we are unable to fix, it effects a small number of players and usually our instructions did work for majority of these effected.

At this point the best thing is for you to wait for Steam release (can`t tell exactly when - but soon - this month). And you can use your cd key to activate the game on Steam. Steam will use the Steam installer and updater that will not have any of these issues.

However - if you do feel like doing a reinstall of your windows - it helped two other players that I know of.

I really wish I had a better answer than that, and thanks for all the details in your post. We will keep on looking to solve this issue with our updater, and your info definitely helps.

P.S. For your Wife`s PC mouse issue - you can try searching Tech support forum going a while back, there was a solution. I`m pretty sure it involved either
1) Setting Windows Font size to Normal instead of Large
or
2) disabling mouse acceleration option that comes with some high-end PC mouse

Lord Lurk 02-13-2013 06:01 PM

Ah, thats a bummer. Im going to keep poking at it now and until the steam release to see if I get lucky. Thanks for the info though.

As for the mouse issue, I set her desktop display to 150% normal size, so most likely thats the issue. Looks like I am stealing her computer for the next month or so now lol.

Thanks for all the help, I'll update if I manage to get it working somehow, wether through my random poking about or OS reinstall.