Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shields and arrows (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606)

Kire 04-29-2009 12:55 PM

Shields and arrows

Hello i am quite new so i maybe missed something... but as i was looking around not. Have just a question if units with shields could block enemy arrows so they dont damage them?
Personally i like this idea so that also the size and position of shield or archers matters (for example archers are on right side of the enemy so their arrows hit them on side where is not shield but weapon) .
This would quite increase tactics if its not already there and i missed it.

Puppeteer 04-29-2009 02:02 PM

Firstly, welcome to the forums!
Secondly, this is indeed a good idea and sounds like something Reverie has/would have/will implement, due to the nature of combat being RPG. The devs will have to confirm this. I would however love to see a longbow arrow splinter a shield right in two though :p

Esculas the Mighty 04-29-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 13771)
Secondly, this is indeed a good idea and sounds like something Reverie has/would have/will implement, due to the nature of combat being RPG. The devs will have to confirm this. I would however love to see a longbow arrow splinter a shield right in two though :p

i have always preferred them going into a certain stance to limit the amount of arrow damage

nickson104 04-30-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 13771)

Thats not a very strong shield then... ;) :p longbows are good but they are not as powerful as crossbows, crossbows fire at a higher velocity but flew in a straight line rather than an arc due to its nature... it had shorter range and was slower but was a stronger weapon making it the prefered weapon against heavily armoured units... (correct me if im wrong)
So.... same image... but with a crossbow :)

Puppeteer 04-30-2009 01:52 PM

Longbow arrows could pierce through armour and shields, if it was a direct shot (ie. not from above, but aimed straight at the chest). 'Stronghold' isn't that accurate.

nickson104 04-30-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 13780)
Longbow arrows could pierce through armour and shields, if it was a direct shot (ie. not from above, but aimed straight at the chest). 'Stronghold' isn't that accurate.

I havent played the original stronghold just the sequel... but i wasnt refering to that, yes the longbow has a great penetrating power but it required a great deal more strength also to pull the bow and it was difficult to find the trees suitable for making good longbows. The crossbows simplicity in its firing mechanism gave it a slightly bigger penetrating power as the velocity was slightly higher. The longbow was far its superior but due to its high costs and high training times it became less used than the crossbow...

Gigz 04-30-2009 03:27 PM

England famous Long Bow Archers anyone ? ^^ does were the beast of the bows , and were able to kill just about anything , but yeah for heavy armor direct hit was devastating ^^

Puppeteer 05-01-2009 09:13 AM

nickson I never debated that. I was debating your comment that "Thats not a very strong shield then...". The crossbow notion was a given.
You can blame the Welsh for inventing the longbow.

nickson104 05-01-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 13786)
nickson I never debated that. I was debating your comment that "Thats not a very strong shield then...". The crossbow notion was a given.
You can blame the Welsh for inventing the longbow.

Im welsh... :) :p and fair point you didnt hehe i got carried away ::o actually i remember what i first thought, by shattering the shield i got an image of it literally shattering into hundreds of pieces whereas the arrow would more likely pierce the shield sorry for getting a little carried away :D

Joseph Visscher 05-02-2009 03:31 PM

Units with shields have more armor towards projectiles, and most of them have formations and stances to better protect themselves behind that shield from projectiles.
For directional damages and bonuses, its do-able, but not currently in game and I don't think its even been thought of, our units in game are in many various angles while fighting enemies, using this feature tacitly would be very tricky.