Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Improved Modding Tools (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5842)

Darth_Malloc 05-16-2012 10:12 PM

Improved Modding Tools

The game looks great so far. I would however, like to see more advanced modding features for DoF. I am an avid programmer (my name says so), and I have some cool ideas new factions (i.e. Undead, Demons, Dark Elves, a full Dwarf faction, and a civilization of fantasy Vikings). I would suggest expanding the editor so that it is similar to the Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. You should also provide code documentation to facilitate modding.

Gruber12 05-18-2012 09:41 AM

we all know we want a undead faction instead of bloody unicorns :D

Darth_Malloc 05-18-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruber12 (Post 71804)
we all know we want a undead faction instead of bloody unicorns :D

A wise decision. On that note, it might be good to also replace the unicorns ridden by mounted rangers and grand masters with white horses - that would actually look a bit more dignified. Also I would make subtle improvements to existing graphics models, and also improve the existing factions by making the element of magic stronger with each of them. I welcome any other mod suggestions that you might have.

Gruber12 05-20-2012 08:29 AM

Ive chatted a couple times ingame about a Undead faction and I reckon instead of food they should have corpses as a resource :rolleyes: probably make a spot where a certain enemy resapwns constantly but cant be lotted for gold but picked up by the mindless Ghouls (workers) and brought back which can then be used as a resource to resurrect into workers or soldiers.

Another way to collect corpses is to build a farm which spawns unarmed humans, world map camp view and PVP. All corpses have to be brought back to resource point.

As a magic/hero unit, the Necromancer could ressurect groups of freshly dead units as a source of cannon fodder with low damage but making the group of corpses ressed uncollectable

Vind 06-05-2012 01:34 AM

Farming humans seems a bit harsh if not horrifying. My guess is that you can create undead form things long dead if they haven't been buried properly (sanctified, burned...) and world has been up and running a long time there are bones everywhere. Just don't raise undead dinosaur.

Human farms seem...horrifying. :eek:

Darth_Malloc 08-27-2012 05:21 PM

As I think of it, instead of a food resource, the undead and demons should use a soul resource. I agree that undead dinosaurs are cheesy (although they are an option in D&D 3.5), but undead dragons are a must. On a more general note, I am curious about what the Reverie staff think of expanding the modding tools to make these ideas possible.

Konstantin Fomenko 08-28-2012 08:47 AM

Darth_Malloc,

DoF is actually easy to mod and it`s even possible to create new factions (if you now LUA, really good with 3D Max and photoshop and have plenty of time:p)
However - the game files are protected, as otherwise there would be easy to create various cheats for Online Kingdom, and besides any changes to the game files will make Online Kingdom PvP/Co-Op go OOS.

The only solution is a Mount and Blade type of approach where player can decide to load up a complete Mod of the game with unprotected game files, and if there was enough interest our programmers could work on this, but this is quite a large project - and for now our priority is with new content.

If you have strong LUA scripting knowledge (required for DoF modding), have plenty of free time, and also work with 3D Max you can always try and enjoy our studio - in some sort of volunteer modder capacity, that was we`ll be able to set you up with unprotected game files and provide some in-house documentation. If you are interested just send me a PM.

Nellus_Slayer 09-24-2012 05:32 AM

i think a mod-textures pack could be enough as a fisrt step.

DoF support normal maps?
ipotetic max-resolution for textures?

Brian Shingles 09-24-2012 07:49 AM

Yes, DoF supports normal maps although normal maps aren't applied to all units.

The largest resolution we use for unit textures is 2048x2048 for the Hero units, although we could probably reduce that without too much loss of quality. Most units like the Swordsmen have a texture resolution of 512x512.

Nellus_Slayer 09-24-2012 10:09 AM

than, i think... it's could possible an eventually increase textures on units (1024*1024) with occlusion and dirty map on... and smallers normals (512*512)

maybe in future (now i'm engaged in other big-project) i'could put my hands on for create a textures map mod. :)

Ps: great game and great job guys.