Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unit Space (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581)

JDJ525 04-05-2009 09:14 AM

Unit Space

In Stronghold 2 the units when you selected them to go to a certain location they would all mesh together as they were running. You could have several soldiers in one spot making it look as if it were only one soldier. This made combat awkward and difficult to manage.

So my question is will each unit hold a certain amount of space, so that they do not mesh together when they are sent to a certain point on the map or enter combat?

SvN 04-05-2009 09:24 AM

I really hate when that happens..

Grizzlez 04-05-2009 10:54 AM

Makes taking screenshots really difficult as well if hordes are combined.

Alex Walz 04-05-2009 10:56 AM

From the screenshots it looks like they all hold their space. I couldn't imagine Reverie just meshing them all together. :/

Konstantin Fomenko 04-05-2009 11:44 AM

We try to have units hold their collision radius,

But if there is a pathfinding conflict - for example a bunch of your units are blocking your gateway - your and ally units will be able to go "through" them - but it`s not as noticeable - and I think we`d rather have that than pathfinding conflicts. Keep in mind that if you still can block the path against enemy units though.

Darvin 04-05-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 13151)

But if there is a pathfinding conflict - for example a bunch of your units are blocking your gateway - your and ally units will be able to go "through" them - but it`s not as noticeable - and I think we`d rather have that than pathfinding conflicts. Keep in mind that if you still can block the path against enemy units though.

That's the best of both worlds.

Feweh 04-05-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 13151)

Nicee, thats exactly what i wanted to hear :D

Cobra 04-05-2009 12:45 PM

Yeah, that's really the best way of doing it, and the most realistic. After all, your soldiers would of course let allies through, but would be a lot more resistant to enemies just strolling in.

I can't imagine a system where a whole crowd of units meshes together... although maybe you could exploit it to hide your numbers?

LeopardX 04-05-2009 05:34 PM

Yep, that sucked in Stronghold, but good to know you guys are making it right.

The_Biz 04-05-2009 05:58 PM

glad to hear it

unit stacking sucks