Day one, some bugs & suggestions
Playing as orcs in desert terrain, with gatherer/horde perks. Here are some bugs that essentially stopped me from enjoying the game on the first day of ownership.
1) disappearing unit banners - units of workers and marauders would randomly lose the unit banner, and subsequently refuse to do anything but stand around. They could not be tasked with performing any action. The only solution I found was logging out and back in, or splitting them into an army on the world map and back again.
2) control groups wiping - after each log in, all the control groups (CTRL+ number) I had assigned in a previous session had been wiped. There's also no indication of what control group individual units belong to once assigned. Control groups also wipe between going from the world map back to the tactical view.
3) crash wiping unit/hero experience but not quest progress - this is the biggest one. I could have lived with the annoyance of having to log out every time one of my units felt like bugging out and being totally idle, but this is the show stopper. Upon a CTD, all the xp i had accumulated from combat would be wiped and my units busted down a few levels, while the quest progress wouldn't be. The most recent example of this is trying to do the orc giant wolf monster quest. All my units and hero gain a ton of experience levels, game crashes. I load it up again, units and hero are at their xp level from before having done the quest, while it counts as completed once I speak to the chief or whatever he is. Nothing is quite so maddeningly frustrating as losing all my progress, and it makes the game quite simply unplayable. I don't want the loss of all my progress due to a CTD looming over me while I play, and I won't until this is fixed.
4) unit controls & hero gets lost in a crowd - not really a bug, but it would be massively helpful if the hero had a banner of his own, or if the units could be selected by clicking on their banners, or if the banners were larger, perhaps a bit more iconic, and generally more functional as a UI element. I'm thinking specifically of the unit badges in Dawn of War 2, though these could be adapted to thematically fit a fantasy game. It would also be neat if the hero could be attached to units like in the original Dawn of War. Would make handling him in combat much easier if he wasn't always charging at enemy armies by himself with his troops trailing behind, and invariably getting pasted by anything tougher than goblins. At the most basic level, I feel like the hero simply needs to be more visible and accessible, and treated not as a one-man unit with extra abilities but as a special and separate class of unit. Again, I'd like to point to the original Dawn of War as doing this very well.
5) resource flow breakdown - again, not a bug, but it would be helpful if information related to resource income, outlay, and individual labourer unit production would be more detailed. I'm thinking specifically of the Europa Universalis III system of a mouse-over tooltip that informs the player exactly how much tax revenue each province is contributing to the total, as an example. EU3 uses this mouse-over tooltip breakdown system more broadly, and its extremely useful to see exactly what is contributing to a total statistic, exponentially more so at higher levels of complexity. Just more information about the economy would be great.
Thank you for reading, and I hope some of these reports will be helpful in improving the game. I look forward to checking it out again in a few weeks.
Hello and welcome to DoF!
Love to see well structured posts like this.
1) disappearing unit flags and unit loosing control this is a bug we are hoping to fix with-in a patch or two.
2) is a known issue, which to be honest haven`t been implemented yet as it`s considered a minor feature VS the bigger features like alliance and guilds that we are working on. But down the road we will implement this as well.
3) This is an extremely rare bug which we are working on, not sure if the solution will make it into today`s patch but definitely in the next one.
4) I like your idea about adding a unique flag to the hero - might work out really well actually, I`ll run this by the scritpers. Meanwhile my advise is to make use of the automatically created unit groups in the top-left corner of the screen. Double clicking on them centers view on the unit - and is great for locating and controlling your hero.
5) If you mouse over resources income rate (for example under Food counter, you`ll notice something like +1.5) it`ll provide that information - how much livestock, peasants, buildings e.t.c are adding per minute. But seeing how you haven`t been able to locate this on your own - this gives me an idea to make this pop-up display if player mouse-overs anywhere near the resource counter.
Thanks for the hero tip, too. I hadn't fully explored the nooks of the UI before I posted - my fault - but that largely works around my issue with the hero being lost, though I'd still love to see you guys work a banner or some options for making the hero stand out a bit more later on. Ditto for the mouseover. I could have sworn the mouseover details weren't coming up in my orc game, but sure enough there they were when I started a human one.
Again, cheers for replying; it's very ecouraging to see devs respond to player concerns so directly, and I'm going to be following the further development of this fine game with considerable interest.
woofy,next time you crash m8,open games install directory and attach the log1.txt file
may or may not help see whats happening and get it fixed
And the devs are good about talking to us lowly players :> Might even see kon on the server pvping people lol
A couple more.
6) Hero losing levels / having his skill points reset - As stated, my L19 hero goes into a quest battle, and I only notice all his skill points have been reset after he's died. After a CTD mid-battle his level resets to 15. I've also had this problem with units. Took four level 4 crossbowmen into a quest battle. At the end one of them is level 3, and one of my L4 swordsmen is 2. The crossbowmen took no casualties, and the swordsmen took a few. Maybe units lose experience with casualties?
7) Tech bonuses not applying properly, or resetting and not activating upon log out - I've noticed this in two instances: pigs resetting to 250 food after a log out and log in, and gradually fattening back up to 300 each time (one of the researched barn techs for increasing food yield from animals), and my home city storage capacity constantly fluctuating between 5850 and 6300, the latter being the bonus i should have with the researched storage improvement tech from the town hall. I suspect that some of my stored resources are simply being discarded from the failure to properly read my max storage capacity. (I'd also love to see tech tooltips specify exactly HOW MUCH they will benefit you, not simply "increases home city storage." Increases home city storage by x%? Yes please.)
8) Quest 'Defending Thy Home' not advancing - quest requires me to have built a wall. Wall complete, quest still marked as incomplete. Maybe it means STONE wall? It doesn't specify.
9) Healing wells not working in winter - this might be intended, and it would make sense if so, but still. Considering winter presumably lasts an entire real-time day, a bit of a harsh penalty on players for the sake of realism?
All I got for now. My nerves are just about shot rolling that boulder uphill only for it to roll back down after each CTD. Thanks for looking, and I hope these help improve the game.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2011 Reverie World Studios INC. All Rights Reserved.