Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MMORTS Player Colours? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483)

MrBlack103 01-15-2009 02:38 AM

MMORTS Player Colours?

I was wondering how you devs have worked out player colours in MMORTS mode. Does each player select a colour to represent them, or does each player have their own display settings for everything (eg. you appear as blue, guildmates green, neutral yellow, enemies red, specific player purple, etc etc...)? Or is it worked out some other way? Please explain.

Andy Joslin 01-15-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

or does each player have their own display settings for everything (eg. you appear as blue, guildmates green, neutral yellow, enemies red, specific player purple, etc etc...
Something like this is probably the most likely.

Puppeteer 01-15-2009 10:43 AM

I'd hope that the colours were subtle. This concept of bright, brash colours confuses and engrages me!

Feweh 01-15-2009 10:50 AM

Ya please dont use a VIBRANT BLUE it would just kill the whole atmosphere.

Try and got for more lighter colours.

Darvin 01-15-2009 12:37 PM

But vibrant blue is my favourite faction colour!

Above all else, team colours have a functional purpose in RTS games; at a glance, you can tell what units belong to you, and what units do not. This functional requirement should take full precedence over any artistic preference.

I think the biggest problem will be if you have two players who have the same colour preference fighting each other. This will get even more complicated in battles involving multiple players since there can be further overlap. Two players with the same colour cannot be allowed to occur in a single battle, and any system must establish some contingency to deal with these situations.

Another note is that many of the softer colours - particularly earth tones - should not be acceptable faction colours. The reason is that these colours camouflage into the minimap background colours and provide an unfair advantage to the player using them.

The_Biz 01-15-2009 01:45 PM

just make everything customizable is the safest bet.

if i have more than 1 teammate, i need them to have different colors.

if i have more than 1 enemy, i need them to have different colors.

and obviously, my own units should be a different color.

this is all for strategic and communication purposes.

i don't know if MMO mode will have more player than colors in which case you need to get creative :) . maybe custom crests or something.

Konstantin Fomenko 01-15-2009 01:49 PM

yeah most likely we`ll have 4 primary colours for enemies/teammates/npc/player, with shades of the primary colours used if there are more than 1 teammate or enemy present.

The Witch King of Angmar 01-15-2009 02:40 PM

Sounds good to me, but, I thought there were only 3 primary colors? :confused:

nickson104 01-15-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar (Post 11253)
Sounds good to me, but, I thought there were only 3 primary colors? :confused:

My art teacher would have a fit... :p

Red, yellow and blue are primary.... im guessing you also mean green though? their the four most known colours...

Konstantin Fomenko 01-15-2009 04:51 PM

Actually NPCs most likely won`t have a 'colour' and just use default unit texture without a colour mask on-top. So yeah - 3 primary colours.

I`m interested to hear which colours would you assign though - for yourself/allies/enemies.

So far i`m thinking, Blue/green/red