Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   concerning mercenaries (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4674)

anythingbut 10-13-2011 06:18 PM

concerning mercenaries

Mercenaries
The mercenary is a great tool for players just starting out. It allows the player to snowball his army by earning gold from quests to buy more Mercenaries for the next quest and so on. This experience is doted with the occasionally return to your settlement and development of means for your future endeavors. This system serves as a great hook for the beginner by providing him; very little downtime, knowledge of the game mechanics, and learning the folklore of the world.

problem: However as we approach mid-game the acquisition of necessary gold for these Mercenaries becomes effortless. As a result all sense of accomplishment is robed from the player who built up his/her settlement to produce this military force. Continuing in a loss of interest for the game. The proposed question being. "How do we limit the mercenary whilst maintaining the hook at the opening?"

solution: The biggest factor on the battlefield, for PvE and PvP, is the level of experience a unit has gained. If the level of experience a mercenary unit could gain was restricted to level 4. Then the opening game would not be affected. But players would still realize the need for military production from their own settlements and plan accordingly.

edit: mercenaries that are bought with influence through the market system do not have the above restriction applied.

Dreamwalker 10-13-2011 06:25 PM

I like this idea; there's been a lot of talk about this problem with mercenaries, and a lot of solutions; but this one is both the simplest and the most effective.

Although, I don't think mercenaries should be just for early game; some mercenaries (from other/minor races) should add important strengths to any army, but should only be a small part of the army.

My two cents. :)

anythingbut 10-13-2011 07:11 PM

To Dreamwalker:: thank you for adding that. i forgot about the market system i will make sure to edit my post and add that in.

To Magicmud83:: That is a interesting idea and i strongly encourage you to post something about its implementation . But i see problems with this from a development perspective. Every race in DOF is different in almost every way this creates a sense of individualism in a player and that is not easy to balance. There is a very elaborate system of balancing these races in the works and i fear that your idea would cause a break in this system. For example the humans have a tech that allows their units to gain xp faster. Your proposal would negate this advantage and the system would have to be rebalanced. Also you would have to find a way to give this concept to every race in a different way. Not just in the sense of the model art work but in the game mechanics as well(example: how much would it cost? how much time would it take build and/or research? does my race get it at all?). Another problem is how this would make sense to the player (example: how does giving my mercenary a rock or food make him better at fighting? Does he lift the rock and eat the food to get stronger?). Finally you would need to review the answers to these problems and weigh it against the original state of the game. Answering the questions "was something really broken?" and if it was "is the fix worth the effort?"

Magicmud83 10-13-2011 11:09 PM

What if they made all mercs level 1 and let players make training buildings or camps that used resources to level them up? This would make the settlement more useful and merc would still have a place in the army.

White935 10-14-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicmud83 (Post 64139)
What if they made all mercs level 1 and let players make training buildings or camps that used resources to level them up? This would make the settlement more useful and merc would still have a place in the army.

the fact that Mercenaries are like they are, makes me consider making a human city with orc troops. since orcish economy is both worse, and defences are worse. but as a "benifit" they produce troops faster than the other 3 races. yet with mercenaries enspammeage this benifit is void.

Magicmud83 10-14-2011 12:28 PM

You could but you wouldn't have any of the orc upgrades which would make them even weaker.

Dreamwalker 10-14-2011 03:20 PM

Still...having big mercenary armies just takes away some of the fun of the individual races, dosen't it? Being human or elf and all orc armies...there's just something wrong about that. While it's nice to have a few weird mercenaries, you shouldn't depend on them.

And as for the mercenaries of your own race: what's really the point of that? You pay gold for units you would of had to pay other resources for. I think mercenaries should be handled like in Medieval Total War 2: where they are more expensive than regular troops, but are handy when away from home and you need more soldiers right away.

szebus 10-14-2011 03:57 PM

Or mercenaries should be anything but the troops a player can create. There should be other unit types "invented" just for mercenaries and for all three races. That way a human wont be able to have an elven ranger and an elf a human knight, but they will still use other units from each others race that can not be created by neither of them.

Dreamwalker 10-14-2011 04:26 PM

Sounds good-since that also results in a bunch of awsome new units! :D