Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Unit Specific Animations (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46)

Silent_Lamb 07-19-2007 06:22 PM

Unit Specific Animations

Although maybe a little late in the development I thought I'd bring up something that is not particularly necessary, but really adds to the environment and feel of a game.

Unit Specific Animations, something you can see in Dawn of War or Medieval Total War 2. Something that has always taken me out of a game is watching units just hack and slash, cycling through 2-3 attack animations over and over again until the enemy dies. Although it's not as bad as I bring it up to be, it's still pretty dull. Some games like to throw in extra animations, like a finishing blow or a fancy sword maneuver when dispatching an enemy. You'll notice it in Medieval Total War 2 where a unit will land several blows on an enemy and then finish him off.

I was wondering if Dawn of Fantasy would incorporate this, and if the devs hadn't thought of it, if there was any way they could consider it.

SPARROW94 07-19-2007 09:01 PM

hehehe thats what i regulary do playing RTS games just watch them fight

Darvin 07-19-2007 09:50 PM

It's never bothered me that units cycle between 2 or 3 types of animations. I usually don't even notice if a game went cheap and only did one type of animation per action.

Alexander Flegler 07-20-2007 10:37 AM

In DoF units have several animations for defending themself from an attack, while they defend themself they can't attack though.

Silent_Lamb 07-20-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darvin (Post 499)
It's never bothered me that units cycle between 2 or 3 types of animations. I usually don't even notice if a game went cheap and only did one type of animation per action.

As I said it's not really as bad as I make it out to be, it's just really a nice little touch.

It is good to hear that they cannot attack while their defense animation is being played. In fact it's good to hear in general that they have a defense animation. :)

The Witch King of Angmar 07-20-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent_Lamb (Post 504)
As I said it's not really as bad as I make it out to be, it's just really a nice little touch.

It is good to hear that they cannot attack while their defense animation is being played. In fact it's good to hear in general that they have a defense animation. :)

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

jap88 07-20-2007 06:49 PM

But do the defense animations actually do anything? It's kind of stupid for them to defend themselves if they still take the same amount of damage.

Super Nova 07-20-2007 07:57 PM

I hope the defense animations do some thing or it will be a waste but still if they dont then ohwell it is still good to have them.

The Witch King of Angmar 07-21-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Nova (Post 509)
I hope the defense animations do some thing or it will be a waste but still if they dont then ohwell it is still good to have them.

Yes I think the units will have a defend command as well as an attack.

Super Nova 07-21-2007 04:41 PM

it would be nice if they would use both with out u commanding them to do
Example 1:your units are being overwelmed so the auto turn form att. to def.
and the defense animation/s are activated. Would that work ?