Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   question (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33)

darath 06-24-2007 04:44 PM

question

will creating units be squad-based like bfme2 or singular like AOE

Ryan Zelazny 06-25-2007 12:29 PM

Hi Darath and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, we're not entirely sure yet. At the moment the game is implimented with singular units. However now that we are working on a Xbox 360 version instead of strictly PC, we find this might be a little difficult playability wise, with the harder interface.

We are currently testing and debating between the two, however I believe it's currently in the batalions favour.

jap88 06-26-2007 09:51 AM

Yeah, on the 360 singular units would indeed be hard to control... unless there was something where you could create your own battalions (similar to control groups i guess but not the same exactly) as that way it would be possible do order each unit to do exactly what you want them to do or just do groups of units for greater ease

The Witch King of Angmar 06-26-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny (Post 301)
Hi Darath and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, we're not entirely sure yet. At the moment the game is implimented with singular units. However now that we are working on a Xbox 360 version instead of strictly PC, we find this might be a little difficult playability wise, with the harder interface.

We are currently testing and debating between the two, however I believe it's currently in the batalions favour.

I personally like the battalions myself because they are much easier to control.

darath 06-27-2007 08:15 AM

i would prefer singular, if they where like stronghold in making the weapons it would be more realistic

Konstantin Fomenko 06-27-2007 09:50 AM

To Update this topic - we did decided to go with batalions, the questions now is how many units per batalion. Did you guyss like it more with 5-10 units like BftME 1, or 20-30 like BftME 2?

The Witch King of Angmar 06-27-2007 10:25 AM

5-10. It seemed so much better to me. I hated the way BFME2 had it set up. It was really dumb.

jap88 06-27-2007 11:49 AM

5-10 is much easier to manage and also allows for more precise manuvering etc. I find 8 is a good number for some reason but i don't know why :p Besides, generally when the battalions are larger the creators of games make them take longer to build, i'd rather be able to get 3 groups of ten out in the same time as 1 group of 30. If my town is under attack i need guys quickly, not slowly.

SPARROW94 06-27-2007 08:22 PM

yeah i choose 5-10 units!! in BFME2 it sucked so hard even when u lined up your men they looked ugly....heres a hint DONT PUT THE BATTLIONS IN STRAIGHT ROWS I HATE THAT make em look like they were ready for war

Darvin 06-28-2007 12:37 AM

I personally prefer the word "squad" to battallion, because the shorthand "batt" is confusable with the word "battle".

In terms of size, I think that the problem with BFME2's large squads wasn't so much the size itself, but pathing issues. I think it all depends on how it is managed. In terms of how the squad spreads itself out, that should be on a case-to-case basis. I think orcs make sense spread out, but cavalry should charge in lines, and a spear formation definitely should be a tight box.

I do believe size should vary from unit-type to unit-type and faction to faction. It might make a lot of sense to put phalanx in a big formation, but light cavalry in a small formation. I think it's all about what works best for gameplay and that unit type in specific.

Most games have a variety of features like variable starting resources and population limits, it might be cool if a squad size multiplier was also available, although that could cause balance issues with regards to heros, monsters, and other "non-squad" units.