Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flying Mounts (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269)

Diggz 04-27-2008 01:09 AM

Flying Mounts

Personally, with dragons dominating the skies, i think there should be other fliers.

Elves maybe would have pegasi, men gryphons, and orcs a wyvern maybe...

Since only the best dragons can fly, maybe only the stronger units or even only heroes can mount these. They would probably be much more costly than a grounded mount but the advantages far outweigh the cost. Ranged heroes would gain a much further range, magicians could cast spells and retreat, and melee heroes could swoop down and attack then retreat to the safety of the skies.

Of course, unless you get an armored variant (which would look AMAZING!) flight is a very fragile thing. Even jets take only a few hits before they come crashing down.

Advantages:

You fly!
Greatly enhanced sight/range.
Speedy!!!!
Aesthetics would be awesome, especially if you added smooth animations for swooping down and meleeing, or maybe the mount will actually slant to turn, as it would in real life.
Imagine a courageous hero on his gryphon engaging in an epic duel with a Dragon!

Disadvantages:

The mount wouldn't have much hp, unless, as said before, you get an armored variant.
It's a long way to the ground.

This would add an entirely new strategy for the races whom are not gifted with wings. Even if only heroes could mount these (it would be a high risk tactic though, as you lose the mount, you lose the hero, unless he's flying low.) you could pester an enemy easily. Since buildings won't be affected by small arms (swords, arrows, etc.) the tactic wouldnt work well versus a well defended opponent, or raiding economies, but you could easily pester an enemy.

Thus said, they would only be available for late-game, as airborne rushes wouldn't be that fun to counter, unless an un-armored mount is overly weak and able to be taken out with a few arrows.

Another suggestion, is that if you do add this concept, you should be able to set the height at which you fly. Flying low would limit the chance of dying if your mount is killed, increase your chance of hitting someone, and allow melee characters to attack, but you would be much more susceptible to being hit and therefore easier to kill. But flying high would mean it takes an extremely skilled marksman to hit you, but only ranged classes could shoot, with limited effect as you wouldn't hit very much unless you are skilled, or your target is huge, like an ogre.

Also, what if your melee hero could land on the walls? That'd be cool, and your archers and magi heroes could have a better line of sight when sieging, as you don't have them pesky battlements blocking your view. Which brings me to another thing, Dragons and subsequent fliers should be able to land, to forego the advantages of flight and becoming like a normal mount, this would be useful if the enemy brings a strong array of archers to bear and you could save your flier for a more, advantageous, occasion.

Neotyguy40 04-27-2008 02:01 AM

There are only 3 units that can fly, and they are all dragons... Some reverie person said that (I can't remember there names, all of the symbols look the same to me).

EDIT: Wyverns ARE dragons with only 2 legs...

LordSlayer 04-27-2008 06:05 AM

it might be a good idea, as long as ranged heroes mounting them don't become unstoppable because they can shoot farther and are out of range of the other units.

Diggz 04-27-2008 02:19 PM

Well, as said, its a trade-off, you can fly high and not be hit, gain more range, but you would have a hard time hitting something

The Witch King of Angmar 04-27-2008 02:21 PM

Certain dragons that are bigger ,AKA Royal Dragons, should be easier to hit because of their size.

Diggz 04-27-2008 02:43 PM

Of course.

I feel that this will give a new element for non-dragon players, and even the odds on the dragons mobility, even if only your hero can get on these mounts.

Think warhammer Mark of Chaos!

SvN 04-28-2008 07:08 AM

i like the idea, it reminds me of a fantasy story I read, all soldiers rode on flying wyverns, instead of horses:)

Darvin 04-28-2008 11:04 AM

I think the idea of this game is that flying creatures are exceptionally rare and not the kind of things that you find everyday as a mount. Certainly flying mounts for heroes on their own should be rare - if they exist at all - and common units should be completely out of the question.

The Witch King of Angmar 04-28-2008 01:26 PM

I don't think that necessarily. I mean for dragons they are going to have flying units, maybe only 1 or 2 but still.

Diggz 04-28-2008 05:35 PM

Well, as said before, it would be only for heroes, and that it would be hella expensive. You'd probably only be able to have one, since they are so rare, and if a lord found one, it would be his most prized possession. It wouldnt be given away with ease.