Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Combat types? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260)

Neotyguy40 04-20-2008 10:05 PM

Combat types?

Ok, as we know there will be a bunch of different combat types:

Siege
Stealth
Naval
*tell me if I'm missing any*

But can anyone tell us other combat types? I am interested in how dragons will use flying to their advantage. And can elves use their trees as towers to shoot off of? Say any others if needed.

Darvin 04-20-2008 10:14 PM

I'm under the impression that we won't see "fleets" of air units like in WC3, so flying units will probably be few and far between. They'll probably be used more similarly to how they ended up being used in BFME, either for harassing or as support in larger battles.

Jean=A=Luc 04-21-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 (Post 5490)
*tell me if I'm missing any*

Infantry, cavalry and spell casters.

Konstantin Fomenko 04-21-2008 08:04 AM

Keep in mind the variety of unit types between races.
Sure - human civilization might have standard unit types (I`ll name good number of Human race units here and categorize them)
Infantry - Maceman, swordsman, thane, Halberdierman
Ranged - archer, crossbowman
Cavalry - things are a bit more complicated, as quite a few of unit units can be mounted + elite Knight units.
Siege - trebuchets, wall mounted siege weapons, siege ladders, siege ram, siege towers.
Peasants
Livestock - a cow, sheep, pig, chicken.
Spellcaster units
Hero units

But if we take Orcs for example, we have a totally different unit class picture. For example - the infantry units also server as builders and miners. Ranged units are hunters and food gatherers. Huge Ogre units are also livestock which grow in size, and can be slaughtered for food just like a cow.

And then again we have units for Elves such as Tree of War (Trent) which is a siege unit, resources gathering unit, mobile building, mobile tank unit - can be mounted by allot of other units.

Puppeteer 04-21-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Peasants - ?
Care to ellaborate? lol jk
I like the variety, it's better than AOE where there were standard units and the variations were the ones you could and couldn't get.

Neotyguy40 04-21-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 5502)
Keep in mind the variety of unit types between races.
Sure - human civilization might have standard unit types (I`ll name good number of Human race units here and categorize them)
Infantry - Maceman, swordsman, thane, Halberdierman
Ranged - archer, crossbowman
Cavalry - things are a bit more complicated, as quite a few of unit units can be mounted + elite Knight units.
Siege - trebuchets, wall mounted siege weapons, siege ladders, siege ram, siege towers.
Peasants
Livestock - a cow, sheep, pig, chicken.
Spellcaster units
Hero units

But if we take Orcs for example, we have a totally different unit class picture. For example - the infantry units also server as builders and miners. Ranged units are hunters and food gatherers. Huge Ogre units are also livestock which grow in size, and can be slaughtered for food just like a cow.

And then again we have units for Elves such as Tree of War (Trent) which is a siege unit, resources gathering unit, mobile building, mobile tank unit - can be mounted by allot of other units.

Sorry, I meant to say how will they fight, like I know there will be sieges, stealth attacks, and naval attacks... But will there be other types? Like if dragons use flying to their advantage, burning everything below them or something like that.

Jean=A=Luc 04-21-2008 11:57 AM

There's some great new info there Konstantin, thanks. :)

The Witch King of Angmar 04-21-2008 01:38 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the diversity of all the different units in the game.

LordSlayer 04-21-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 5502)
[Huge Ogre units are also livestock which grow in size, and can be slaughtered for food just like a cow.

Will orcs still have normal livestock, because i have trouble imagining trying to bring an ogre to the slaughterhouse :eek:

Jean=A=Luc 04-21-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordSlayer (Post 5527)
Will orcs still have normal livestock, because i have trouble imagining trying to bring an ogre to the slaughterhouse :eek:

I don't really see Orcs as sheep herders.