Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unit Limit? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258)

Feweh 04-20-2008 09:51 AM

Unit Limit?

Hey i'm just curious as to how large the unit limit will be.

What im concerned is the fact that you need a large attacking force, and at the same time you need to defend your base..

So it must be quite large which is very very good!

Anyways i'm just curious and wanting to bring up a discussion on how unit limit effects you?

I personally found that in BFME 1 and 2 that you couldn't attack and defend at the same time, same vice versa.

Thats just my general take.

The Witch King of Angmar 04-20-2008 04:04 PM

What do you mean by affect?

Feweh 04-20-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar (Post 5469)
What do you mean by affect?

Oh sorry, i men't how do you feel about having a small limit for units in DoF if it was to be like that, or high?

If that makes any sense.

Neotyguy40 04-20-2008 09:50 PM

I don't think there will be a limit on how many troops you can maximum hold, just how many you can hold at a time, such as if you have like hundreds of barracks, you can hold 1000s of troops, but only 10 barracks... Only a few dozen.

Ryan Zelazny 04-20-2008 09:55 PM

We haven't set a pop limit yet, this wont be set until we have all factions playable in our build and we can experiment on how the pop limit affects the system performance and game play.

I can say that the engine at it's current state does support over 1000 units on screen, which is pretty much as many as you can actually fit on the screen. So needless to say your pop limit should be quite high, it's not going to be 200 like WC3.

Neotyguy40 04-20-2008 10:01 PM

I hope it's very high, like 100,000...

Darvin 04-20-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny (Post 5485)
So needless to say your pop limit should be quite high, it's not going to be 200 like WC3.

Uh, WC3's pop limit was 100, and most units cost 2-3 pop points, so the actual unit limit was closer to 30 depending on what kind you were making.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear the population cap will be sufficiently large. Naturally the exact number should be subject to change based on what works best for gameplay and for the majority of systems so they can actually run in smoothly.

Jean=A=Luc 04-21-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 (Post 5488)
I hope it's very high, like 100,000...

No, no, I have it, how about one GILLION units! You could use half a gillion to defend your stronghold and the other half to attack and harass.

Konstantin Fomenko 04-21-2008 08:08 AM

:) As of now we are aiming for 1000 unit limit on average. It will vary a bit between races - Orcs might have 1,200 limit, while Elves something like 800. Nothing is set in stone but this should give you a fair estimates.

And no worries - you won`t always have to fight this epic battle. You can always leave most of your units home, and just send 100 troops to attack other players or do quests - we`ll automatically find gameplay content (player`s to attack or quests to do) depending on how many units you are willing to send out.

Also, early mmorts game, as in good deal of single-player campaign, skirmish, you`ll be fighting with 100-200 units only.

Neotyguy40 04-21-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 5503)
:) As of now we are aiming for 1000 unit limit on average. It will vary a bit between races - Orcs might have 1,200 limit, while Elves something like 800. Nothing is set in stone but this should give you a fair estimates.

And no worries - you won`t always have to fight this epic battle. You can always leave most of your units home, and just send 100 troops to attack other players or do quests - we`ll automatically find gameplay content (player`s to attack or quests to do) depending on how many units you are willing to send out.

Also, early mmorts game, as in good deal of single-player campaign, skirmish, you`ll be fighting with 100-200 units only.

Aww man, I wanted at least 10,000 units... I wonder how many will be for dragons.