Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Intelligent workers? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251)

Ovocean 04-17-2008 07:06 AM

Intelligent workers?

I like the Settlers IV: setting down the buildings, allocating a number of workers of each type, then observing everything coming to life - relatively - cleverly. It gives me the feeling that I'm not alone, trying to babysit a crowd of empty polygons.

So, in Dawn of Fantasy, what will be automatic, and what will not ? Ive read that villagers will try to repair damaged structures by themselves, they so have at least a few cells in their brain; how about other basic tasks? will we get inoccupied peons when they come out of their "training" building or when they are done with a portion of forest or with the animals they where hunting?

'Cause... do you know anybody who likes when he or she has 20 workers waiting for orders because they can't find any more trees within 10 meters around them, or because their gold mine is out of ore?

My last RTS reference is Age of Empire II, so the genre may have evolved already and I don't know it. :o

lord_farquad 04-17-2008 07:20 AM

I agree. I would prefer (for example) being able to place my buildings and then watch my workers scury about to fulfill my wishes. Micromanaging workers is usually much to difficult and time consuming in large games like these. It's more fitting for small scale games (i.e. Starcraft)

Ovocean 04-17-2008 10:37 AM

True.

Ahm, here is what DoF's website declares :
For defense oriented players who enjoy micro-managing, their entire economy can be redesigned in just a few clicks. [...]
Players who wish to focus more on the battlefield, however, have options available as well and can take advantage of the automated economy. A complex economy is created without the need for many player choices, allowing the player to focus more on the battle at hand.

This sound very interesting to me, but needs a clearer description for I picture it. Can we get more details on this please?

Puppeteer 04-17-2008 11:15 AM

Maybe it's another marketting strategy... ah the conspiracies with the ambiguous

Belgarion123 04-17-2008 02:24 PM

I hope that they do implant auto workers in some way... I find it too be bothersome always having to give orders to a lot of workers and manage an army at the same time.

The Witch King of Angmar 04-17-2008 02:29 PM

The workers in DoF will have alot of simplicity as far as micro-managing and will do alot by themselves. I think I also read that they would defend your castle if intruders break in.

Belgarion123 04-17-2008 02:38 PM

That is true. I saw it not long ago... But one still wonders... Until we have a defenit answer I will wait and see...

Ovocean 04-17-2008 03:22 PM

Just quoting Reverie lvl designer Joseph from the Suggestions forum, the information fits this thread as well:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 5220)
There’s already is AI built into the workers of dof for gathering resources, so there won’t be to much micromanagement, for your workers; it should be farley easy, it’s not going to be like tasking your workers on every single tree, they will go to the next nearest tree on their own. Lol.
But it will still be upto you on how many do what, I do not believe we will have AI that will automaticly move lets say 10 workers logging wood to go mine some gold if your running out of gold.

Feweh 04-17-2008 03:27 PM

I hope the peasents don't just magicly disapear when their houses or farm house gets destroyed, i've seen that in a few games.

They should run towards your stronghold keep in that case i'd imagine?

Neotyguy40 04-17-2008 04:10 PM

I wonder a few things... But I forget what I wonder...

I just hope that you can make your people act like slaved (muahahahaha!!!)... What did you expect? I'm not the son of God...