Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media Fair (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fantasy Friday - Orcish Minor Towns (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2508)

Alex Walz 03-18-2011 05:01 PM

Fantasy Friday - Orcish Minor Towns

Fantasy Friday
The Orcish Minor Towns

Hello everyone, hope all is doing well this beautiful Friday! I apologize for the late start today, but we are excited to show you more of the NPC towns which will be featured in the next beta stage. And while on the subject of the beta, I would like to thank you for your patience with these delays and ask you to check out this thread for more news on the matter. It has been a very busy week for Reverie World, but we really appreciate your feedback in the forums and the help of our closed beta testers, and will be starting to frequent the forums more often once again after this week.

With that out of the way, enjoy this first glimpse of five new orc towns! These towns can be visited and traded with by players in the Online Kingdom mode, and will likely be siegeable in a post-release DLC pack. And just as we unveiled the Elven Sun Stone last week, viewers may be able to catch a preview of a new orcish siege defense, the Rock Net, in the screenshots below. Originally suggested by beta tester sneaky_squirrel, this mechanism can be built upon orc walls and drops a load of rocks on enemy attackers - causing a great deal of damage to both units and siege towers within a small radius. It causes a small amount of stone each time it fires and takes a while to reload, but, c'mon, what's awesomer than watching those puny humans and elves get crushed to death? ;)

Bastra

Bastra is Makkada's main port, originally built by the legendary king Akkanar, famed for his obsession with a pillaged elven book. The strange concepts contained within spurred the king to many unusual acts. His final deed was the undertaking of great monument. To this end, he claimed the cliffs of Bastra, and the giant waterfall now known as Akkanar's Grief. For two decades he attempted to reshape rocks and redirect water, but was killed in a coup before his monument had been completed. Today, Bastra's reputation is for naval power, and it lies between the twin gulfs that feed Makkada.

Bringen

Little knowledge of Bringen circulates the outside world. Rumor suggests it may harbor a notorious gang of pirates, the Kat Anad, who swear no allegiance to any orc king. Though they are despised by many, Bringen is the only port in the region, and thus it is protected by the city of Pultak. It seems that the lawless streets of Bringen will remain so long into the future, and its many undesirable inhabitants will continue their despicable ways.

Dintalla

It is said that if one were to destroy Dintalla, one would cripple the entire orc navy for a generation. From Dintalla come the planks of almost every orc ship, and it is Gokkholm's primary lumber source. As such, it is heavily guarded by its chief clients - Makkada, Ral Nistro, and Bastra. Far away, elves lament the thousands of trees destroyed at the hands of orcs, little understanding the pride orcs take in their achievements.

Ma Tinro

Isolated by the Brakental desert, Ma Tinro has changed little in 1000 years. Life is slow, and death is fast. Survival is the main concern. The citizens have learnt to live from the desert's meagre offerings, and are completely self sufficient. Positioned in a valley, the town is protected from the worst of the sand storms, but it is by no means a pleasant place. Perhaps because of this, it has been allowed to grow, and now boasts some wealth, along with the necessary defenses.

Mistra

Mistra, located deep within the orcish swamp, is the last of the goblin towns. This enslaved race shines brightly only here, where goblin artistry still thrives, and where the great swamps have many times thwarted the might of orc armies. Goblin cunning has also played its part for Mistra was built as a near-impervious fortress with only two narrow entrances, which funnel attackers into choke points beneath a hail of eager arrows. Such failed attacks have given birth to the insult "I wish you death while goblins laugh!"

GPS51 03-18-2011 05:09 PM

Just out of curiosity will the goblins at Mistra be stronger then their counterparts everywhere else?

Alex Walz 03-18-2011 05:20 PM

Stronger, no. Cheaper, yes. We want players to know what they're up against so having identical-looking units with different strats is something we're trying to avoid, other than leveled up units. However, we may one day add an elite new goblin unit (such as a hobgoblin) and make it only available as a merc from Mistra, or something of that nature.

Yami-Yagari 03-18-2011 05:23 PM

Very nice! I really like both Bastra and Bringen, especially the waterfall.
Although it raises some questions. Will you be able to settle near water and be able to build your own naval force in sort of dockyard, or do you have to purchase them from minor NPC cities in the vicinity of water?:confused:

And on a second note, the rock net is a nice idea. I myself had something of a similar idea for orcish siege defense: The Warg Pole. It's basicly a few wargs leashed to a pole which can be build outside the walls and released when enemies approach, attacking the nearest units. Merely suggesting :D

Alex Walz 03-18-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yami-Yagari (Post 46454)
Very nice! I really like both Bastra and Bringen, especially the waterfall.
Although it raises some questions. Will you be able to settle near water and be able to build your own naval force in sort of dockyard, or do you have to purchase them from minor NPC cities in the vicinity of water?:confused:

And on a second note, the rock net is a nice idea. I myself had something of a similar idea for orcish siege defense: The Warg Pole. It's basicly a few wargs leashed to a pole which can be build outside the walls and released when enemies approach, attacking the nearest units. Merely suggesting :D

Thanks for the nice words! :)

No homelands are built by water. We're keeping the naval aspect of the game to a minimum - its main purpose is transportation, so you will probably only have a small fleet. And functional ships won't be added to the game post-release. We just decided that there's enough to do on land, that there's no real point to a heavy naval side of the game, but we will elaborate more on navies later on. :)

And nice idea with the wargs, however wargs can already be trained to fight so there's no real point to tying them up when you already have full control over them.

Yami-Yagari 03-18-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Walz (Post 46456)
Thanks for the nice words! :)
And nice idea with the wargs, however wargs can already be trained to fight so there's no real point to tying them up when you already have full control over them.

Well, the original concept was that you could light them on FIRE! :eek:

Then you'd have a sort of frantic out of control elephant from R:TW on FIRE! Which can work both ways, like igniting siege towers or, if you're really unlucky, light up a section of your own wall and destroying it making it easier for the iinvading army.

It's overpowered I know, but it has orc inginuity written all over it :D

Nordmann 03-18-2011 08:25 PM

I like the wild building style of the orcs. All that ressources around ect. I should think about human cities and ork cities. :p

Puppeteer 03-19-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally suggested by beta tester sneaky_squirrel, this mechanism can be built upon orc walls and drops a load of rocks on enemy attackers - causing a great deal of damage to both units and siege towers within a small radius. It causes a small amount of stone each time it fires and takes a while to reload, but, c'mon, what's awesomer than watching those puny humans and elves get crushed to death?
Lifted straight from Stronghold 2? xD Nice anyway.

Cyroch 03-20-2011 07:52 AM

Simply great. Orks will be mine :)

Darathor 03-21-2011 11:41 AM

Really liking all the minor towns that are being added to the game! They really seem to bring the mmorts map to life with a bunch of little details! I can't wait until I can visit these towns, and burn them with my elven army! :D