Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Microtransaction Ideas (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2427)

NobleIre 02-18-2011 02:31 PM

Microtransaction Ideas

First of all i'd like to say.. please don't flame this about how 'you oh so hate microtransactions'. This is a topic about what types of microtransaction ideas you wouldn't mind (or might even like) to see, not about whether or not you like these transactions. If you hate them all, then I suggest you just don't post here.
*Feel free to critique other people's suggestions, however.

With that out of the way - what would you like to see, or wouldn't mind seeing the devs charging real money for? I don't believe they have said that they would, definitively, use microtransactions (so don't have a heart attack), but if they did.. what would you suggest they charge for?

Here are some of my ideas:

Stronghold relocation: Paying real life money for an instant relocation of your base and army within that base. I would not, however, support this unless there was also a method for moving your base using in-game resources instead of money.

Banner symbols: I wouldn't mind them charging for some particularly awesome banner icons to customize our banners with.

Small, long-term buffs: By this, I mean paying to include a buff that isn't very significant.. but lasts for a long time. (Say a month). This could be like a 1% increase to loot, or a 5% faster troop recruitment time, 10% faster army march speed, etc. Basically, something that is designed to be pleasant, but not enough to give someone a significant advantage. The appeal would be in that these buffs last a long time - thus the 'cumulative' benefit is still significant.

Special unit designs: By this, I mean being able to purchase something that would change the 'model' of a specific type of unit into a cooler-looking version. No statistical or practical benefit, just a change to the look of the unit. For instance: perhaps making a berserker have big spikey armor, etc.

arthas242 02-18-2011 02:50 PM

horriable idea, basically you are saying people who pay $$$$ should be stronger

and not real point in special unit designs when they are already in as upgrades

Dracus 02-18-2011 11:09 PM

Microtransaction ideas could work only IF they were purely cosmetic items you could buy. Say banners, types of walls, a castle plan or even go as far as to say the weapons on your army look different however have the same stats.

Cosmetic items in my opinion would be fine but anything that gives you an edge over another player in my opinion is bad. If you want to make money this way I'd rather p2p a monthly fee then have to deal with the stupid item mall idea.

LiTos456 02-19-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthas242 (Post 44743)

I honestly don't see any logic in your post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobleIre (Post 44740)
Basically, something that is designed to be pleasant, but not enough to give someone a significant advantage. The appeal would be in that these buffs last a long time - thus the 'cumulative' benefit is still significant.

Read carefully next time, mate.

NobleIre 02-19-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthas242 (Post 44743)

and not real point in special unit designs when they are already in as upgrades

Thank you for actually reading my post and bothering to heed my request. (sarcasm) Also - it's Horrible*

In general, I agree with you Dracus. Microtransactions should generally not provide any sort of tactic (and definitely not substantial) advantage. They should general be for aesthetic or convenience purposes.

I do, however, believe in items of convenience. (for instance, a purchase that allows you to insta-move your base to another location without in-game cost). It wouldn't make you powerful, it is just a matter of convenience.

Any other ideas for things that could be included and charged for? I'm not necessarily saying that they will or even should have microtransactions - i'm just trying to come up with some ideas that are generally 'acceptable' for them, in case they do.

arthas242 02-19-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobleIre (Post 44740)
Banner symbols: I wouldn't mind them charging for some particularly awesome banner icons to customize our banners with.

Small, long-term buffs: By this, I mean paying to include a buff that isn't very significant.. but lasts for a long time. (Say a month). This could be like a 1% increase to loot, or a 5% faster troop recruitment time, 10% faster army march speed, etc. Basically, something that is designed to be pleasant, but not enough to give someone a significant advantage. The appeal would be in that these buffs last a long time - thus the 'cumulative' benefit is still significant.

U are talking about buying banners that give buffs with Cash, thats basically saying the more you pay the stronger you are

SOOOOO..... where's the flaw in my logic?

because seriously i will be let down by any game that did this regardless how big the buff is, you should never be stronger because you paid more $$$$. you should be good because u have built up stuff and played the game.

NobleIre 02-19-2011 03:46 PM

You posted saying that my entire post was a 'horrible idea' based on a single portion of the post. That, arthas, is what doesn't make sense. Ofcourse, with more effort with a spell checker, your post would be easier to read and understand. I agree with you, however, that most people will not like the idea of any sort of statistical buff, regardless of how frivolous it is.

I, however, believe that there are methods for doing such that it is practical and yet does not change the balance of the game. For instance - moving speed of an army. It could be enhanced in a way that is convenient, but which does not add any real advantage to the army. (For instance, say it takes 10 minutes for your army to march from your castle to an enemy castle. Some people might be willing to pay for a buff that would reduce that to 8.5 minutes [because they are impatient]. Now, that extra 1.5 minutes isn't likely to change your fate in the battle.)

I will add, however, that any buffs which are available through a market should certainly be available in some manner in the game. For instance, perhaps as a spell or rarer item find.

Neutral884nz 02-19-2011 05:32 PM

As long as everything you can buy with RL money is cosmetic im all for it, but if it is anything that gives people an advantage over other players.. no thanks, it just ruins the game.

Paying to customize my soldiers to look unique would be alright, im one who loves customization, changing the style of your castle or being able to buy new weapons / armor for your hero would be nice, as long as it is all only for looks.

darklegends8 02-19-2011 08:24 PM

This game has to get money somewhere, and I'd rather pay for an advantage than pay just to be able to play. Which is why I always play F2P games and not P2P.

Tolbby 02-19-2011 10:13 PM

NO. Any game that gives a slight bonus to those who pay VS those who want to spend some extra free time is completely unbalanced. Even the slight 5% movement increasement is huge, cause something normal taking only a day would then take roughly over 22 hours. That 2 ohur difference could mean the absolute difference between success and defeat, giving P2P a clear unfair advantage.

YES. There could be those extra unimportant features that are an added bonus for paying with money. League of Legends is Free to Play, and they're very successful even though the things to spend the money on are only skins to change the look of characters. They pretty much do absolutely nothing, but it's awesome to have a different looking character compared to everyone else.