Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Terrain and Stealth (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293)

NobleIre 02-05-2011 12:00 PM

Terrain and Stealth

I searched for this but could not find any information regarding it..

I was wondering if there was any information about how terrain and stealth might work together - if at all? By this, I mean.. does terrain block vision of enemy units/enable enemies to hide behind terrain and set ambushes. Does certain terrain block ranged attacks? Etc.

It would, in my opinion, be awesome if certain terrain did provide stealth for the units moving through it.

LiTos456 02-05-2011 12:08 PM

There's fog of war but other than that I don't think terrain will affect much. Stealth works just as much as it does in other RTSes I reckon.

NobleIre 02-05-2011 01:05 PM

Ah, that's rather what I expected - though it is slightly dissapointing. I was kindof hoping that some terrain might serve, in battle, to extend fog of war. Essentially blocking line of sight.

But as you said, it's a standard in most RTS games - so not an unexpected response. I really hope that, eventually, terrain will play a dynamic part in the battles themselves. One of my favorite strategy serieses, Total War, made things much more interesting because of the few ways that you could utilize the terrain to obtain very solid advantages.

EdwardTheGreat 02-05-2011 01:53 PM

I personally believe terrain, while not affect stealth that much, or at all for that matter, but will probably (not necessarily) affect combat in someway. While this may not necessarily be the case for the game itself, it would make more sense to say that if a unit cross water, it would obviously take more damage than that in a thick brush, jungle. Or if a unit is going up hill, it may go slower. Reverie may also implement different factors of cover. (This is just an educated guess, and may not be implemented what so ever).

No Cover: In open fields and plains/deserts/anything with no form of cover, unit would take normal damage.
Light Cover: In/around wooden buildings and fortifications/lightly covered terrain (ie trees/forests). Units would gain lets say a 10% bonus reduction to damage intake.
Heavy Cover: In/around stone buildings and fortifications/heavily covered terrain (ie heavily covered jungles. Units would gain lets say a 25% bonus reduction to damage intake, and if they are in friendly territory, would go invisible after a certain amount of time. A solid format of flanking enemy units.
Uphill: Slower movement, units at top of the hill increase there damage to units at the bottom.
Downhill: Faster movement, units at the bottom of the hill take more damage than normal to units at the top of the hill
Water Covered Areas: Units crossing water covered areas take more damage than normal as well as a reduced movement penalty.

Just a few ideas of how terrain could be utilized to change the outcome of any battle, thus making players think more deeply about strategies, rather than the usual rushing. Please tell me what others think.

NobleIre 02-05-2011 02:15 PM

I agree, there are myriad ways in which terrain could be used in battle.

It's not entirely far-fetched to consider that some terrain might block line of sight/targetting for ranged units altogether. For instance, i'm assuming that walls do this - preventing ranged units from hitting units on the other side of them. It's entirely possible that they do not, but it would reduce the usefulness of walls. At the least, as you said, walls could grant a defensive bonus to those units on the other side of them.

I suppose we won't know until we see. ;)

A few other ideas: Being at the top of a tall incline could increase ranged unit's range instead of increasing damage, but increase melee unit's damage or armor. It would probably still increase their movement speed as they went down the hill. This would give people incentive to put ranged units ontop of walls (if they can shoot over walls from behind. If not, they you'd have to put them on the walls anyway).

tribute 02-11-2011 03:37 PM

is there a system in place where terrain provides greater defense?

Dracus 02-11-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiTos456 (Post 42942)
There's fog of war but other than that I don't think terrain will affect much. Stealth works just as much as it does in other RTSes I reckon.

Will high ground increase the range of siege weapons and ranged units?

LiTos456 02-13-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracus (Post 44034)

Can't say much on that at the moment.

Dracus 02-13-2011 04:56 PM

Will there be % modifiers on attack or defense when flanking or attacking a battalion from the back?

Hans 02-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracus (Post 44034)

i think i remember that Trebuchets on walls/Towers have more range than trebuchets at ground .