Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DoF - Splitscreen (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221)

Feweh 04-02-2008 08:56 AM

DoF - Splitscreen

Well, I used the search button and nothing came up. I look at the website and trailer and did'nt see any mention of non-online splitscreen?

Now, if you can make this game online why can't you make it splitscreen so you can play with a buddy offline?

Xbox360:I bought my Xbox360 so i can relax on the sofa to play with a close friend of mine, we enjoy multiplayer games but sadly i don't have Live. So the only type of games i ever buy are multiplayer games that that are offline.

See's that the xbox is abandoning the whole offline play and focusing on multiplayer. Why can't you set it up so i can skirmish with a friend of mine offline. Nothing is as more fun as playing with a close buddy of mine and destroying is huge castle.

PC: PC is the easiest thing for online play, i'm sure most of you will buy DoF online but i myself don't have a power computer which is why i'm going to purchase it for Xbox. There is no possibilities for splitscreen here sadly.

Anyways, the point being. If you can make DoF have a awesome online play why can you not make it splitscreen to play against a friend with?

Once again sorry if this has been talked about or they're is a splitscreen thing going on that i missed.

So what are your thoughts etc?

I feel that if i can skirmish against a computer why can i not play against a friend of mine?

Chromatism 04-02-2008 09:53 AM

Interesting question really.

The most obvious answer is for technical reasons. If you're going to display anything in split-screen, you're effectively doubling the viewing area, thus also doubling the memory load along with processing requirements.

Yes you could lower the graphical quality, but said optimization is also a pain because Reverie would basically have to go through every feature and tone it down specifically for split-screen play.

Also for gameplay reasons strategy suddenly becomes much less appealing when you can see exactly what your opponent is doing and vice versa. Having said that, network play should be more than possible across to 360 systems, but I'm afraid that's probably the best compromise you're going to get.

Konstantin Fomenko 04-02-2008 10:49 AM

I am sorry to confirm it, but as Chrom have guessed technical issues get in a way here, and it`s impossible to have a split screen RTS. Besides, you`ll always know what your opponent is up to - takes away from fun factor.

To make up for Xbox360 users without Live, there is a lengthy single-player which will last you good 15 hours, extremely competitive Skirmish mode, single-player scenarios. However, for a title being marketed as MMORTS, we do hope most people who purchase the game will have Xbox live.

Feweh 04-02-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonstantinF (Post 4674)
I am sorry to confirm it, but as Chrom have guessed technical issues get in a way here, and it`s impossible to have a split screen RTS. Besides, you`ll always know what your opponent is up to - takes away from fun factor.

To make up for Xbox360 users without Live, there is a lengthy single-player which will last you good 15 hours, extremely competitive Skirmish mode, single-player scenarios. However, for a title being marketed as MMORTS, we do hope most people who purchase the game will have Xbox live.

That's a serious let down.

But to respond to your opinion. "Besides, you`ll always know what your opponent is up to - takes away from fun factor."

True but untrue... when im playing with a friend it's for fun. Even if he sees what im doing it's still going to be fun and we wouldnt exactly use that factor against eachother.

Guardian195 04-04-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 4674)
it`s impossible to have a split screen RTS.

SC64, thank you.

Village Sock 04-04-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feweh (Post 4675)
That's a serious let down.

But to respond to your opinion. "Besides, you`ll always know what your opponent is up to - takes away from fun factor."

True but untrue... when im playing with a friend it's for fun. Even if he sees what im doing it's still going to be fun and we wouldnt exactly use that factor against eachother.

I wouldn't say it's a major let down at all, i've never seen or heard of an rts with a feature like that, and I'd find it completely unessersary, would ruin the whole point of strategy as you'd just be able to see if they were building up a major attack against you, or what units their building.
And if you want something like that most RTS have a full map visiibility thing you can either turn on, when selecting the settings for a map, or God forbid it as a cheat. And this is a much more practical way of oding it and stills eeing what your friend is doing, as well as without all the added techinical issues. I don't know whther that's included in DOF but thats a much better and more practical way of doing what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feweh (Post 4675)
we wouldnt exactly use that factor against eachother

Then em what would you use it for? With the splitscreen there it would be almost impossible to not notice what your friend/opponent was doing and the fun factor effects of it would wear of pretty quickly, trust me. You'd soon be wishing you had a full screen to see more of the map where you are. Plus im sure everyone would use it against each other to see what they were doing and to combat what their doing. I know I would even if it was a friend.

iceblast 04-04-2008 02:40 PM

wasn't split screens for games like halo and ghost recon which are fps not rts :P