Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Terrain destruction! (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141)

Zary 01-23-2011 11:41 AM

Terrain destruction!

One thing i valorate a lot in a game is that, destruction. Not meaning gore or explosions, but permanently terrain holes because of a catapult and things like that. Aafter a battle, and while a week, (srry my english) you must see corpses and burned terrain and holes and things like that, i mean not for ever, but for a few days at least!

How do you see it? :rolleyes:

Froody42 01-23-2011 11:51 AM

I don't think it's that important for a fantasy game like this where there isn't that much that could cause significant terrain destruction. Only catapult rocks could cause small craters, and that's about it.

It's different with games like Dawn of War, where there are artillery shells flying around constantly.

luizeba 01-23-2011 12:49 PM

But a detail like this make the game more realistic :P

pkdavid 01-23-2011 01:01 PM

I am not an expert but I think it must be very difficult to program, especially in an MMO, wait for an answer programmer.

Karl-Heinz 01-23-2011 01:31 PM

Well, it is not essential and will not be missed in the game, but it would be awesome to have that level of detail. Initially they can not put up, but developers can add this in a future expansion/patch.

Narfi 01-23-2011 02:03 PM

fantasy or not, some remains around the field after a big battle would add atmosphere to it.

Corpses, burned down siege equiqment etc.

darkviju 01-23-2011 02:10 PM

It would be good to see how's everything after a battle, but I also think it's diffcult to program that (I think Crysis for example doesn't have craters).

Joseph Visscher 01-23-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froody42 (Post 40766)
I don't think it's that important for a fantasy game like this where there isn't that much that could cause significant terrain destruction. Only catapult rocks could cause small craters, and that's about it.

It's different with games like Dawn of War, where there are artillery shells flying around constantly.

Thats pretty much hitting the nail on the head right there. Would be hardly seen, there are much better things we could add which would be, such as more realistic knock-back and even soldiers flying/falling off walls to their deaths.

We are going to have fully destructible walls in the game, this should feed your lust for now Zary when you will have to repair your walls and buildings.

Zarachas 01-24-2011 09:47 AM

Yeah would be cool with realistic knowbacks, dazed soldiers wandering around and such. people on fire after being hit by a fireball :) Those effects are always nice.

Gongora 01-24-2011 07:21 PM

The ability to literally rip apart your enemies buildings and walls alone is quite entertaining, that alone is reason enough to attack someone! Tho terrain destruction would require a ton of work that really is not overly needed but destruction of trees and flora would be interesting.
Not sure if you will be able to set things on fire like forests surrounding your enemy for example...good move if elves are hiding in the trees xD!