Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spill The Beans (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2)

SPARROW94 03-31-2007 08:54 AM

Spill The Beans

hey guys tell me if you got any infermation on the 360 version i right in RTS games...:p

Konstantin Fomenko 04-04-2007 09:30 AM

While official announcement have not been made yet, I guess there is no point in denying it. Yes - Dawn of Fantasy will be available both on PC and Xbox 360.

We got our inspiration from Battles for Middle Earth 2 Xbox360 port. Dawn of Fantasy uses similar interface and controls.

However the main "appeal" to Xbox market weíll keep a secret for a week longer - until we release a lengthy 4 minute Video Trailer which will tell the whole story.

Darvin 04-04-2007 12:52 PM

Well, it's pretty safe to presume there are going to be some notable differences in gameplay between Dawn of Fantasy's PC and Xbox version. BFME2 worked on the 360 because you rarely had more than half a dozen squads under your command in any given battle, so the loss of the mouse's speed and precision wasn't as important. However, DoF appears to be quite a bit more robust in that regard, so it will be interesting to see what adaptations are employed.

jap88 04-12-2007 03:41 PM

I am quite looking forward to seeing how the game adapts to a console and i anticipate the release with every passing moment :P

Silent_Lamb 05-07-2007 11:34 PM

Hating to compare this to other games (The idea is just to unique to say, 'sort of like'), but I'm assuming it will go down a road similar to C and C 3 or other RTS's that were made for both the 360 and the PC.

C and C 3 there were notable differences. The major one being that it was obviously very difficult to use true "micro" a la Jeremy from Pure Pwnage. The games seem to be slower and set at a lower pace. Now I have no doubts that the design team that is making Dawn of Fantasy will be able to make easy to use controls on the controller, So far the 360 has had a slew of RTS's that have done this well.

It's not my place to say but I do fear that the 360 version will be plagued with some issues.

Konstantin Fomenko 05-08-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Hating to compare this to other games...
I don`t think there is anything wrong with comparing interface of one game to another, especially once it comes to Xbox porting. And I am not surprised that it will be EA games like CnC3.

In February I had a chat with Mark Skaggs, who was exec producer on all CnC titles and BftME, about research which EA put into their Xbox RTS interface, and to be honest with the 6 digit budget, and over a year of research these guys put into it - it’s as good as it gets.

Dawn of Fantasy is already playable on Xbox360 controller, and our interface is only slightly different from the one in BftME2 port. However, one might complain that micro aspects of that interface fall behind Mouse and Keyboard freedom. But unfortunately - no matter what you try – there is only that much you can do with Xbox360 controller.

Not to say that we want to settle for mediocrity here. In our opinion if there is no way to push limits set by Xbox360 controller, developer has only one option - adjust gameplay. And this is what we are going for. You`ll be the judge in the end if our approach worked or not.

I`ll give away one hint - if you guys played Battle for Middle Earth 1 on PC, and Battle for Middle Earth 2 on Xbox360 - think about this, how much smoother would base building controls be if BftME1 base-building remained the same in the BftME 2 on Xbox360.

Silent_Lamb 05-08-2007 05:58 PM

Thank you for addressing that Konstantin.

I never really did hope for much beyond what they have, which as you said was as good as it was going to get. None the less I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys tweak the game play so it works well with the 360.

Darvin 05-08-2007 10:29 PM

The change to the build system was probably one of the biggest mistakes they made in BFME2. I wasn't a fan of build plots, but I also felt the idea shouldn't have been scrapped. It would have been better if they'd have allowed players to put clusters of buildings anywhere on the map, but then forced those buildings into preset locations on those clusters. Based on what I've read around this forum and the main site, I've come to the conclusion that DoF is going to make a nice compromise between build-anywhere setups and preset build locations.

Konstantin Fomenko 05-09-2007 10:27 AM

I agree - the change to the build system in BftME was a real bad decision. There was a new executive producer/game designer working on BftME 2 who made the decision to cut that feature out - based on what EA marketing requested.

Dawn of Fantasy does take on BftME 1 approach, but we bring it to the next level, for example, instead of 9 buildings and one layer of walls, player would get 3 layers of walls, with option to choose from 4 designs for each wall, and over a hundred building, plus option for countless upgrades and customization.
We will support some free-placed buildings too, mostly for economy though.

Darvin 05-09-2007 11:51 AM

Free-placed buildings work best when they have military value, IMO. It makes sense to build a stand-alone scout tower as a warning against invasions, or a military staging post where your troops can heal quickly after a battle (just taking some wild guesses at what structures might be in the game :-). Of course, strategically extracting specific resources may also necessitate such things.