Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dynamic Enviroment (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1855)

Nermal 12-05-2010 11:56 PM

Dynamic Enviroment

Was wondering if there will be major impacts/events on gameplay during the game, so you will have to adjust your playstyle.

Might be better if ill give some examples;
Say there will be a worldwide hunger,- Food will suddenly be more worth than gold and fights will emerge over food wagons & your farms, eventually rowing bands of different races, desperately searching for food atacking all and everybody.
Now There could be 2 or more ways to handle such bands,
1. Simply kill then as they enter your lands,
2. Give them food and maybe receive some new units professions additional peasants

Maybe week of the weeds, everything grows alarmingly fast. Great abundances of food, vicious plants.
A epic campaign where people of different races/kingdoms have to work together quall a mighty army of [insert nonhumanoid race / outherworldlys]

In other words a persistent world, but a dynamic one with surprices & one that forces you to change your playstyle. One where areas you thought explored suddenly reveals new challanges, just to make it more interesting:rolleyes:

Vind 12-06-2010 12:56 AM

This is a really cool idea.
Would be interesting if there is a small camp of AI enemy units and if you don't deal with them soon you might need a help of your neighbor to deal with them.

Fangg 12-06-2010 03:53 AM

I agree would be cool.

I dont know if people have tried king of Dragon Pass. But i liked the random events you had to manage. Someone from your clan has stolen something from another clan. Some refugees coming to seek protection and you turn them into slaves :D.

Zackreaver 12-06-2010 04:56 PM

Events are a really good idea, it helps the game feel more alive.

If say the starvation scenario happens, it could at the same time make a select few players rich with a surplus of food resources. Suddenly those players become pretty valuable targets for raids, it would definately add some excitement to login one day to suddenly notice your the only city that has food left and everyone wants at your supplies.

Nimlot 12-06-2010 05:38 PM

I love this idea. Its implemented in some MMOs already and i think it adds alot to the game if these kinds of events happen sometimes that affects everyone.

Especially i like things like foreign armies invading the whole land and everyone has to fend them off, or an evil wizard takes control of supermonsters that ravage the land :D

How about huge forest fires that everyone in a forest region has to try to fend off, together? maybe someone will take this opportunity to attack a neighbor :D

Nathikal 12-07-2010 08:27 PM

From personal experience, random events make games immensely enjoyable. They add a measure of unpredictability that is really neato.

I, personally, prefer random events that are actually...impacting. Perhaps the orc faction is going smoothly, and a sudden upstart arises, challenging the orc lords for supremacy. The return of the challengers to the throne (M-something, I can't remember the spelling) make life difficult for the humans. An elven councilmember dies, resulting in his/her child, who never liked you really, decides to settle things permanently.

Other randomness that should exist, I feel. Migrant peasants from one nation to another. Bandits that plague the roads and lurk in the forests. A sorcerer who unleashed a pack of demons that begin to ravage the land. There needs to be a level of just...stuff that happens.

Let's be totally honest: there are two kinds of strategy games. One where the players ARE the controllers, and one where the players are merely...players. The world itself should not merely yield to whatever the players do. That's not fun, it's boring.

Joseph Visscher 12-07-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathikal (Post 37139)
From personal experience, random events make games immensely enjoyable. They add a measure of unpredictability that is really neato.

Unpredictability, hehe.
Yea you won't like it when all your livestock get eaten by Wolves when you forget to bring them in from the meadow, muahahahahah!

Nermal 12-08-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 37144)
Unpredictability, hehe.
Yea you won't like it when all your livestock get eaten by Wolves when you forget to bring them in from the meadow, muahahahahah!

Well thats consequence! And frankly im gonna do that alot of times & setting fire on a forrest, just to see those wolves do their handiwork :p Been looking forward to a properly scripted AI the last 10 years in a strategy orientated game, which seems to be within reach finally.

#Nathikal

Im not sure we`ll talk about the same when I say,- Enviroment should change as a consequence of a players choices.
Lets assume you get really mad on your peasents, thinking they need spit out some more money in tax. You whip them happily around abit, some of those people would likely flee you, eventually making a band to survive, even getting into other kingdoms, for good or worse depending on the rulers.
In my opinion would an enviroment not subject to change by your choices be rather dull.

As someone once said,..

Every action has a reaction

Nathikal 12-08-2010 08:48 AM

Aah, no, we're not. But I like both, personally. However, it's more easy to abuse that action/reaction when it's all straightforward.

Would be nice if a player who has a reputation as being cruel to peasants would make it known. That is, if I know that my neighbor is utterly ruthless to peasants, it'd be a sort of diplomatic weight that I'd keep in mind.

Would be even nicer if, instead of just fleeing, an extremely cruel overlord might end up with a revolution on his hands. Not to mention that, in such a case, peasants might contact other leaders, giving alternative methods to weakening enemy powers.

IE, if again my neighbor is being cruel to peasants, one day I hear that the peasants are planning to revolt through my spies or what have you. One of the peasant leaders contacts one of my people, we chat up, and I end up commiting resources to the peasants.

A new minor NPC faction would start up then, at war with their former nation and trying to overthrow it, perhaps with the help of other nations.

Already I can see this being interesting. Just because one leader frequently abused his peasants, a massive war could ultimately unfold between nations that, in the past, had little to no reason to fight.

And once the peasants have outlived their usefulness...well, it's up to you what happens.

Atomic 12-08-2010 10:05 PM

Random events add another layer of skill to any game. This is something I would like to see in this game in the future.

It would be great to have something like some random demons or something suddenly invading the land and possibly forcing the warring factions to form a brief truce, or let them fight on under even more pressure.